ICamel

That's not basketball!

If any of you watched the game tonight with UCLA and Arizona playing in the Pac12 Tournament Semi-Final that style of play is an abomination to the game of basketball. Hard physical contact that has no place in the game. If the officials(so called) had not swallowed their whistles both teams would probably have fouled out the entire roster.

Several teams in the Pac12 play this style of scrum basketball and I predict if they are selected to play in the dance that they won't get far as non Pac12 officials aren't going to allow that physical style of play.

It will be interesting how the championship game between Stanford and UCLA is officiated!

Edited by ICamel
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, ICamel said:

If the officials(so called) had not swallowed their whistles both teams would probably have fouled out the entire roster.

Officiating in the Pac-12 has always been a problem. Not only in basketball but football officiating has its problems also. Officials in the Pac-12 are placed under Larry Scott and officiating is just another thing about the Pac-12 that he has screwed up. 

11 hours ago, ICamel said:

Hard physical contact that has no place in the game. If the officials(so called) had not swallowed their whistles both teams would probably have fouled out the entire roster.

When coaches excoriated the Kamikaze Kids for their style of play. "that isn't basketball", they were reacting to Harter's break from the finesse style had become the norm. Taking charges, aggressively contesting shots at the rim. This is not what we saw in this game.

The end result of the lax officiating we see far to often in the Pac-12 is arbitrary officiating. A player on one end gets smashed, no foul is called; at the other end, whistle, touch foul. It makes the game very hard to play as the players have no sense of what will result in a foul, the coaches can't explain it to the players, and it's certainly frustrating to watch, at the end of the game, the Ref's will see that the total number of fouls called on both teams is close and call it good. 

As long as there's no bias towards one team or the other, it seems fine to me.

It's easier for a team that's used to playing hard to deal with officials who call a tight game than for teams that are used to lots of calls when refs let the teams be more physical, so I don't think there's a disadvantage for Pac-12 teams if refs don't call games as tightly.

I used to be amazed in high school ball how physical the girls games seemed to be compared to ours. I have also noticed this in the college game as well. 

They seriously get after it and give it 110% effort on every play, giving a whole different meaning to hustle. Unfortunately that can also lead to some major contact and play that is plagued by fouling.

11 hours ago, C J said:

They seriously get after it and give it 110% effort on every play, giving a whole different meaning to hustle. Unfortunately that can also lead to some major contact and play that is plagued by fouling.

And yet, many of the women playing basketball don't wear protective mouth guards.