Rufus

A Master List of All the Mistakes the PAC Has Made in the Past 15 Years

What are the key mistakes the PAC 10/12 has made over the past 15 years?  Every time I think about it, the list grows longer in my head. I thought I would start a thread.  

I don’t want to come off as super negative, so I’ll let others start this off and chime in later.  However, there have been many critical mistakes that led us to where we are today. 

Edited by Smith72
capitalize titles

#1 Hiring Larry Scott

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

Allowing USC a lead role in any decision...

Here is one......

Remember about ten years ago when the B1G and PAC12 were going to schedule an all-sport rivalry with each other?  Jim Delaney called the agreement "expanding without expanding".  The PAC 12 backed out of the deal before the first game was scheduled.  Think of the ratings the football games would have had, especially if they were all played in the same weekend in a PAC-B1G Challenge.  

Almost all of the mistakes can be attributed to Larry Scott, and the decision makers who allowed him to keep his job as long as he did. 

Owning the PAC 12 network, then allowing ESPN and Fox to broadcast the premium PAC 12 football games, makes zero business sense if you are trying to increase the value of property that you own. 

There were multiple opportunities to raid the Big 12, but only Colorado was added.  

When Texas fell through, the PAC should have remained aggressive.  What if the PAC let Texas keep its Longhorn Network?  That was the only thing that stopped the formation of the PAC 16. Then, after the creation of the PAC 12 Network, the networks merged into one under the ESPN brand?  

Would the PAC 16 have had the same clout as the B1G and SEC?  Would USC and UCLA left if they had Texas and Oklahoma as conference rivals and were possibly making the same money as the B1G and SEC?