NJDuck

Canzano: Timing is Everything for Pac-12 and Oregon Ducks

A few things I've learned.

The newest voting member of the Pac-12 Conference CEO Group was tossed into the fray just a couple of weeks ago. 

I doubt she’ll unpack. 

Jamie Moffitt was appointed “interim president” at the University of Oregon on March 13. She replaced UO’s previous interim president, Patrick Phillips, who left that post after he didn’t get the permanent job. 

John Karl Scholz will take over July 1 as the full-time president in Eugene. At that point, per a UO source, Moffitt will return to her usual duty as the school’s vice president and chief financial officer.

Got all that?

The Pac-12 Conference continues to negotiate its media rights deal and explore expansion. I was told on Wednesday by a CEO Group member that “the board likes the deal” that is taking shape, but the conference presidents and chancellors don’t seem to be in a hurry. 

Multiple members of the CEO Group have gone public in recent months. Oregon has been notably silent. I’ve chalked that up to the turnover in administration in Eugene. Former president Michael Schill left for the same job at Northwestern University last August. Schill was an outspoken, experienced, stabilizing voice who served on the group’s executive committee.

Phillips was new to the role.

Moffitt is even newer. 

How will Oregon weigh its options? What matters most to the Ducks? Does Phil Knight get a vote? The university trustees? Someone else?

These are important questions. 

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

A few things I've learned.

There is a John Canzano and Jon Wilner podcast at the bottom of his article.  Topics on Pac-12 expansion, SDSU effect and spring football.

This is a very important point below that Canzano pointed out, and we are what....14 months out from expiration of our contract?  Was Dennis Dodd wringing his hands when that media deal dragged on?

"A Pac-12 source reminded me on Wednesday that the Big Ten Conference didn’t finalize its new media rights agreement until last August — only 11 months before the expiration of its deal. The Pac-12’s current media-rights contract doesn’t expire until July 1, 2024. Keep that in mind while we wait."

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/5/2023 at 4:28 PM, Charles Fischer said:

This is a very important point below that Canzano pointed out, and we are what....14 months out from expiration of our contract?  Was Dennis Dodd wringing his hands when that media deal dragged on?

"A Pac-12 source reminded me on Wednesday that the Big Ten Conference didn’t finalize its new media rights agreement until last August — only 11 months before the expiration of its deal. The Pac-12’s current media-rights contract doesn’t expire until July 1, 2024. Keep that in mind while we wait."

Another excellent point. For whatever reason(s) the Pac-10 has to make a deal with a streaming company. A company(ies) that have never streamed college sports.

Does not matter how we arrived here. This is where we are. ESPN, FOX, CBS, and NBC have negotiated linear broadcast deals for decades.

We can all whine about being in this situation but it will not help with making a new and creative deal. And it is just possible the Pac-10 will catch a streaming wave and ride it into a bitchin' beach.

For decades innovation has come from the West and then moved East.

I've been in a number of 'hairy' business deals and restructuring situations. Sometimes when backed into a corner you exit through the front door.

If the West leads the way in streaming college sports why will anyone be surprised?

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1