GeotechDuck

Jackson Shelstad - Best Player On the Floor at Hoop Summit

• Thanks 1

Looks like we found a PG!

Gosh I hope so, we've had pretty good luck with PGs from the northwest.  I know a lot of people are concerned about the whole Bronny James and how much attention he would bring, but the more I've seen him, the more I've seen him talk, I think he might be alright here, he certainly has had a team first approach to the game from the clips I've seen.

Really hope the backcourt mates help him to be the player a lot of people think he can be.

• Thumbs Up 1

West Linn has been turning out studs since the 60’s. Hope it continues. Everyone remember Clark Hoss, to bad he chose the Beavs.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really look forward to seeing Jackson play in Eugene and hope he can make watching Oregon basketball fun again. 

How Oregon signee Jackson Shelstad performed at the Nike Hoop Summit

Shelstad finished the Game with eight points, two rebounds, and one steal as Team USA pulled out a narrow 90-84 victory over Team World. For Shelstad, he got the momentum going early after receiving a large ovation from the Oregon faithful.

A modern point guard, Shelstad, brought the ball up the floor before requesting a pick and roll. Shelstad waited for the pick, flew past the right side of his defender, and attacked the help coverage. A quick crossover to get the ball to his left hand and a stepback was all he needed to create to get the shot off. From 17 feet away, Shelstad elevated and calmly drained his first bucket of the night.

Through his 15 minutes of playing time, Shelstad finished a team-high plus-16 on the night. In the clip above, Shelstand and Oregon target Bronny James teamed up to create turmoil in the Team World backcourt, forcing two errant passes and converting them into baskets. With the 9-0 run, Shelstad and Team USA jumped out to a sizeable advantage in the first half.

"It felt good just knowing my state had my back out there," said Shelstad after the Game. "Just had all the fun to take the court with these dudes and represent our country, as well."

247SPORTS.COM

Find out how Oregon signee Jackson Shelstad performed at the Nike Hoop Summit below

Oregon commit Jackson Shelstad is ready to take his game to the next level

Shelstad will be joining an Oregon program that hardly resembles the Ducks’ teams he grew up watching. In the 2022-23 season, the program finished No. 4 in the Pac-12 conference and was bounced in the quarterfinals of the National Invitational Tournament.

Shelstad cited his work ethic when asked how he’s going to help the Oregon program return to prominence.

“I’m just gonna come in and bring a competitive spirit,” Shelstad said. “I like to be in the gym. I’m a gym rat. I’m going to try to get everybody in the gym and work hard.” 

A starting position isn’t guaranteed for Shelstad in the Ducks' lineup next season. Veteran guards like Jermaine Couisnard and Keeshawn Barthelemy are expected to return and Cook can also play at guard. Shelstad will need to work to earn the trust of head coach Dana Altman and his Oregon teammates which is a challenge he has embraced.

“We’re gonna have some older dudes next year, but I’m just excited to play along with them and learn from them,” Shelstad said. “I’m just going to come in and compete. Try to earn my respect and just play hard. Play my game.”

Read more about future Duck Jackson Shelstad in this article from The Daily Emerald.

Team USA defeats the World Team after a strong finish in a tight game at the Nike Hoop Summit, 90-84

This is actually a photo gallery from the game with excellent captions that I think you will enjoy...

To view this article, click here to get to The Daily Emerald.

Shelstads looks to be the real deal and an early contributor to the Ducks. James and him seem to have a good chemistry together and could make up a core (think Pritchard and Duarte) duo for the next 2-4 seasons. Both of them are high energy hustle players that are quick on defense and deadly from outside.

Dana is going to have to learn how to deal with media and for some reason I feel James is less of a primadonna than many of the five stars we had. From what I've seen of James he looks to be a team player and not afraid to play hard defense.

Shelstad is going to need players around him, especially ones he can click with.

I've Got Five On It: Non-five stars poised to impact as college freshmen

With the 2023 recruiting cycle nearing its close and Rivals.com preparing to release the class’ final ranking, it’s time to look ahead to the college careers of the prospects that make up the Rivals150.

Today in I've Got Five On It, recruiting director Rob Cassidy does just that by breaking down five non-five-star prospects that figure to play massive roles as freshmen.

OREGON.RIVALS.COM

Four-star guard Elmarko Jackson continues to improve and could find his way to significant playing time at Kansas.