Jon Joseph

B1G is Expected to Drop Mandatory Out-of-Conference Game Against P5 Opponent in 2024

Can you say 'chicken spit?' 

Ohio State has already paid UW $500K to back out of a 2024/25 home and home series. 

Michigan's Out-of-conference schedule in 2024 is as pitiful as it was in 2023. This is due to Michigan canceling a home and home with UCLA and scheduling nothing-burgers as replacements. But do not expect this chicken spit scheduling to have any effect on the Wolverines' path to the final, Final 4.

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

B1G rule change could be coming soon, per a report.

chicken GIF by floatingwoo

• Great post! 1

The b1g is following blithely in lockstep with their idols, the EsecPN power shills.

Does it seem odd that they "expanded" by first recruiting such current powerhouse programs as Rutgers, Maryland, and Nebraska before reaching out to the money market teams on the west coast?

Right... In house patsies.

The next great advance in the search for an easier road to the playoffs.

By contrast, the PAC has a 9 game schedule that turns out like a bloodbath most years, effectively giving the powers that be a built in excuse to ignore them..

• Thumbs Up 2

At least the conference does play 9 conference games and I expect the SEC will follow suit next season when OK/TX come on board.

The ACC dropped divisions but stayed at 8 games. This is what happens when you bend over and enable Notre Dame to stay independent in football.

With a 12-team playoff coming I hope this will bite the ACC in the rear end.

I honestly hate what network TV and NIL has done to the college football landscape.

I dream of the day when this whole madness implodes and everybody comes back home to where they belong - obviously for the PAC, it's USC and UCLA, for the Big XII - Texas, Oklahoma, maybe Nebraska(?), and so on.

• Applause 1

If Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and USC all play each other in a given year, there is no need for those schools to worry about strength of schedule.  

Likewise, if Indiana, Purdue, Rutgers or Illinois play Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and USC all in the same season in any given year, they need a schedule that will make a bowl eligible season at least realistic.  

On 5/10/2023 at 6:56 PM, Rufus said:

If Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and USC all play each other in a given year, there is no need for those schools to worry about strength of schedule.  

Likewise, if Indiana, Purdue, Rutgers or Illinois play Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and USC all in the same season in any given year, they need a schedule that will make a bowl eligible season at least realistic.  

Spot on but the B1G will not have these 4 playing every season. I think it will be a B1G time scheduling outlier when this happens if it happens.

I think the B1G will have SC and UCLA playing what are now B1G West teams for the most to cut down on travel. 

Under the new scheduling format, I expect that Michigan and Ohio State will continue to play one another every season but I do not expect to often see Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State playing one another every year as is the case today.

16 teams with only 9 games means a team won't play 6 other conference members every season.  It will be very easy for the B1G to keep the "big boys" from playing everybody in a single season.  Same for the SEC.  Because of this scheduling quirk, I imagine there will be some pretty tough years, but also some pretty easy years.

Ohio State Replaces UW with Marshall on 2024 Football Schedule

The Huskies are still scrambling to fill the open date.

https://www.si.com/college/washington/football/ohio-state-replaces-uw-with-marshall-on-2024-football-schedule

On 5/12/2023 at 1:24 PM, NJDuck said:

Ohio State Replaces UW with Marshall on 2024 Football Schedule

The Huskies are still scrambling to fill the open date.

https://www.si.com/college/washington/football/ohio-state-replaces-uw-with-marshall-on-2024-football-schedule

And paid UW $500K to do so. Will tOSU drop the game scheduled at Oregon? Would not surprise me in the least. And if the Buckeyes are going to drop the Ducks they best do it far earlier than 1 year before the game is scheduled to be played. Giving UW one year to find a replacement stinks.

I hope Mullens covered his posterior with a big-time buy-out number. 

• Let’s hope! 1

On 5/11/2023 at 11:23 AM, Tandaian said:

16 teams with only 9 games means a team won't play 6 other conference members every season.  It will be very easy for the B1G to keep the "big boys" from playing everybody in a single season.  Same for the SEC.  Because of this scheduling quirk, I imagine there will be some pretty tough years, but also some pretty easy years.

The SEC is expected to go with 'pods.' 2 or 3 permanent opponents.

If it is 3, Bama is expected to play Auburn of course, and Tennessee and LSU every season. Oklahoma, Texas, and A+M are expected to play every season.

Saint Nick is not happy about this, boo-hoo.

The Kentucky rung of the SEC wants to stay at 8 games but I doubt that ESPN will be on board with not playing a 9th conference game and being stuck with having to broadcast an SEC team versus Nothing-Burger State. You take the big media bucks and you have to pay a piece.

I see Ohio State playing Michigan every season but not playing Penn State every season. 

USC and UCLA will play every season but will there be 2 or 3 other permanent opponents for the LA schools? 

I think SC and UCLA will play a majority of their conference games against what are now B1G West opponents. But Fox has to get its LA money-worth so I will not be surprised to see Ohio State as a permanent opponent for SC and Michigan as a permanent opponent for UCLA.

I think powerhouse Ohio State AD Gene Smith got a heads-up on this which is one reason why Ohio State dropped UW.

Michigan canceled a home-and-home series with UCLA which is one reason Michigan and UCLA had putrid OOC schedules in 2022 and have putrid OOC schedules in 2023.