Jon Joseph

2023 Pac-12 Out of Conference (OOC) and In Conference Strength of Schedule (SOS) Rankings

Sending out an SOS. USC's SOS is 10th in the conference. Oregon's SOS is 4th in the conference. Yet, USC has the 39th-ranked overall toughest schedule in 2023, 20 spots ahead of the Ducks. No comprendo.

SC has two lay-ups OOC. SC plays Utah and UW at home. I guess playing Notre Dame in South Bend is a super-human task.

Oregon has 5 games versus preseason-ranked teams (Texas Tech is preseason ranked in many of the mock rankings that are out there) with 3 of these games on the road. 59?

I was happy to see UCLA on the bottom rung for both OOC games and conference games. I won't bother to ask why the Pac-12 schedulers (Merton Hanks) gave this bon voyage gift to the Bruins. This simply fits into the conference's decade-plus dysfunction.

Dog Morning GIF

This ranking was done before Oregon picked up a quality O-line player from East Carolina. 

SOS is based on last years records, so just like preseason rankings, don't mean much at this point.  However, they seem to be giving a ton of credit to Notre Dame and none to Texas Tech.  Notre Dame was 9-4, Texas Tech 8-5.  Ducks are on the road for Utah and UW, while USC gets them both at home. 

I don't seem much of a difference between Portland St./Hawaii and San Jose St. and Nevada.  I guess San Jose is just that much better than Portland St.  20 spots seems like a lot, but it is all based on math, so I wonder if the actual math difference is all that much.

• Thumbs Up 1

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Forget a gauntlet. Some Pac-12 teams have front-loaded their schedules with cakewalks. Which conference squads are in store for the softest Septembers?

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Sorry Coach Prime, there will be no easy entry into the 2023 season for the Buffs. Colorado is one of many Pac-12 teams with a daunting nonconference slate.

Oregon should be here over ASU. Playing at texas Tech is more difficult than playing OK State at home.