Jon Joseph

CBS Sports Ranks College Football Coaches

Here are the rankings for Pac-12 coaches ranked in the top 69. I have redacted the entire article as it is lengthy. I expect the top 25 coaches will come out next week and will include SC's Riley and Utah's Whittingham. 

69. Troy Taylor - Stanford - This is low based on his FCS record at Sac State but in today's CFB world does Stanford have a shot at competing at the highest level?

65. - Ken Dillingham - ASU -Dilly would be high on the list of OCs but this ranking with no HC experience makes sense.

61. Jedd Fisch - Arizona - From 1-16 two seasons before to 5-7. IMO this ranking is too low.

58. Justin Wilcox - CAL - Battling tough academic standards and administrative malaise is hard to overcome.

57. Jake Dickert - WA State - 7-6 in 2022 up from 5-7 in 2022 moved Dickert up from 63 to 57. Will he defeat Wisconsin back-to-back?

55. Deion Sanders - CU - One of the best coaches in FCS. Will he be able to turn Ralphie around?

36. Dan Lanning - OREGON - I expect DL to rise way up in these rankings after the 2023 season.[BTW - Mario Cristobal comes in at 39. Lots of $ for this ranking.]

32. Jonathan Smith - Oregon State - Considering the resources JS has this is probably too low. 

Confused Football GIF by MolaTV

31. Kalen DeBoer - Washington - Well, he did defeat both J Smith and DL in 2022. But by the skin of his teeth on both occasions. Good recruiter but nowhere near the recruiting chops evidenced by Dan Lanning.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2023 at 11:10 AM, Jon Joseph said:

36. Dan Lanning - OREGON - I expect DL to rise way up in these rankings after the 2023 season.[BTW - Mario Cristobal comes in at 39. Lots of $ for this ranking.]

I agree!  Thanks Jon for all your postings.  Much appreciated!

• Thumbs Up 1

Top 25 is out I believe. CBS had Nick Saban#1 followed by Kirby Smart, Dabo Swinney, and...Lincoln Riley at 4. That last placement totally mystifies. How a man who has never won a college football playoff game lands there is beyond me!

On Lanning: Rating undoubtedly reflects the lack of confidence among sports writers to rank him higher based on one season's outcomes. Should Lanning match last year in year two, He'll jump at least 20  spots IMHO.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/18/2023 at 1:30 AM, Nevada Dawg said:

Top 25 is out I believe. CBS had Nick Saban#1 followed by Kirby Smart, Dabo Swinney, and...Lincoln Riley at 4. That last placement totally mystifies. How a man who has never won a college football playoff game lands there is beyond me!

On Lanning: Rating undoubtedly reflects the lack of confidence among sports writers to rank him higher based on one season's outcomes. Should Lanning match last year in year two, He'll jump at least 20  spots IMHO.

Spot on. I posted these rankings today and noted that Kiry is closing the gap on Saint Nick. Win 3 in a row and Kirby should be tied with Saban.

• Thumbs Up 1