Jon Joseph

CBS Sports Ranking of the Top 25 College Football (CFB) Coaches Heading into the 2023 Season

These are composite rankings from the CBS folk covering CFB. Author Tom Fornelli questions many of these rankings, and I think you will do likewise.

Below are a few rankings that I don't get.

25. Dave Doeren - NC State - What has a coach who has never won an ACC title or advanced to the CFB playoff done to deserve this?

24, Mack Brown - UNC - Yes, he won one national championship at Texas and played for another but what has he done lately?

21, Bret Bielema - ILLINOIS - See Dave Doeren.

19. Mike Norvell - FSU - 1 winning season in 3 seasons at FSU gets you this?

16. Josh Heupel - Tennessee - An OK (pun intended) record at UCF and one good season in Knoxville does not IMO warrant this ranking.

14. Lane Kiffin - Ole Miss - In the words of Tom Fornelli - "This is a ranking I do not understand at all." Spot on, Tom.

13. Chip Kelly - UCLA - Seriously?

7. Kyle Whittingham - Utah - Coming in one spot ahead of Ohio State's Ryan Day (8) is nice but is it warranted considering that Day won the Rose Bowl shoot-out? And Day has taken Ohio State to the CFB playoff. 

4. Lincoln Riley - USC - Riley with a big roster advantage dominated the B12 but went o-4 in the CFB playoff. Riley was last seen getting blown out by Utah in the conference title game and allowing G5 Tulane to come back for a Cotton Bowl win. 

1, Nick Saban - Alabama, and 2. Kirby Smith - Georgia. I don't believe you can argue with this but Kirby is closing the gap.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The CBS Sports experts have ranked every Power Five coach from 1-65 as this upcoming season approaches

Ronald Reagan Quote GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

Edited by Jon Joseph

Perfect.

Let's fly under the radar....let there be no respect to what Dan Lanning has done this off-season...love it!  

This fall?  You will hear a TON by mid-season about how Lanning how vaulted this team into the national conversation, and how he has transformed this team with portal transfers with nary a miss on them.

giphy.gif

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/18/2023 at 9:47 AM, Jon Joseph said:

7. Kyle Whittingham - Utah - Coming in one spot ahead of Ohio State's Ryan Day (8) is nice but is it warranted considering that Day won the Rose Bowl shoot-out? And Day has taken Ohio State to the CFB playoff. 

This might be spot on. Yes, Day one the day in the Rose Bowl and has been to the playoff several times... but with how many 4* and 5* players does he have on the roster, mostly because it is tOSU? Also tOSU can afford the best assistant coaches out there.

KW has built his program from the ground up, over decades (in football years). He started with 2* and a few 3*. Now he is recruiting good 3* and a few 4*… but still way behind what tOSU can bring in. KW has just won the PAC 12 two times in a row, including last year when there were many top flight teams competing. FIVE PAC 12 teams won 10 games or more last year... and it's not just because they played all cupcakes.

I obviously think that DL deserves to be on this list, and so does Jonathan Smith... These two guys are both wizards in their own way.

• Thumbs Up 2