Jon Joseph

It's Prime Time in Boulder

Will the massive roster turnover work? 

Prime makes his Pac-12 audition in Eugene. Hopefully, he wins one of two games against TCU in Fort Worth and against Nebraska and Matt Ruhle in Boulder and takes care of Colorado State before tripping to Autzen Stadium. 

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Colorado's roster is almost 90% different from last season's. Is that good for college football?

Amazon Primetime GIF by NFL On Prime Video

What the article ignores is the fact that, because Prime is in his FIRST year, he is allowed to cut players and bring in more from the portal. After the first year, that option is greatly reduced. He can't make wholesale cuts... he can only inform that playing time will probably be better somewhere else.

If nobody leaves, the coach would still be stuck with them, even if he didn't want to play them. Of course, many would chose to leave. 

My point is that a second year Prime can't do what a first year Prime can do. If the players he brought in this year don't work out, he can't do it again.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/18/2023 at 4:08 PM, Jon Sousa said:

What the article ignores is the fact that, because Prime is in his FIRST year, he is allowed to cut players and bring in more from the portal. After the first year, that option is greatly reduced. He can't make wholesale cuts... he can only inform that playing time will probably be better somewhere else.

If nobody leaves, the coach would still be stuck with them, even if he didn't want to play them. Of course, many would chose to leave. 

My point is that a second year Prime can't do what a first year Prime can do. If the players he brought in this year don't work out, he can't do it again.

Great point Jon, but even though it will be his second season the limit on 25 new scholarships a year has been lifted by the NCAA.

Guys not making the grade at CU and other schools will be encouraged to enter the portal. Of course in the Pac-12 whether a young man plays or not so long as he is not kicked off the team for disciplinary reasons his scholarship stays in place.

I think 6 members of the CU squad took advantage of this and stayed in Boulder.

Seems like we saw this before, right? Mel Tucker came to MSU and in his second full season took D1 football by a storm, with a lot of transfers. He then signed a massive contract and the next season went 5-7.

Prime may catch lightening in a bottle for a season or two, but in the end it won't be a sustainable. He also may have reached his level of incompetence. 

I love all the excitement, but call me unimpressed until I see a longterm product. I doubt Prime is longterm, nor will any of his playersbe who have success. Much like like Kenneth Walker III did at MSU after winning the Doak Walker Award, he left. My bet any player, and or coach who has success will be gone in no time. 

I will be surprised if there is too much success, especially sustained success. Of course I have been wrong before, but that doesn't stop me from coming up with these opinions!

beer-icegif-12.gif

• Haha 1

Although Prime is making a decent showing on the 2024 recruiting trail and not just out of the portal.

The man had big-time success as an FCS coach and has put CU back on the college football map.

I think he will soon have CU in the upper half of the conference if not higher. Equally as important as the hire was the CU administration's decision to open the pocketbook. 

• Thumbs Up 1