Jon Joseph

Is This What a College Super Conference Might Look Like?

I have enjoyed reading and discussing various posters' thoughts in regard to possible expansion candidates for Oregon and other Pac-10 schools.

This is a fun topic to debate and ponder and no prospective realignment ideas are out-of-bounds in today's constantly changing world of CFB.

But when it comes to business, we, like it or not, are living in a Power 2 age. The B1G and the SEC have lapped the field financially. 

I think a Super Conference made up of the B1G and the SEC might look like this. (If student-athletes are found to be employees all bets are off in regards to where CFB is headed.)

B1G 20 -

West - Oregon, UCLA, USC, Washington (all pod members would play one another every year.)

Central - Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin

Mid-West - Illinois, Indiana, Penn State, Purdue

Mid-East - Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Rutgers

East - Duke, Georgia Tech, UNC, Maryland  

SEC 20 -

West - Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A+M

South - LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Missouri

Southeast - Alabama, Auburn, Kentucky, Tennessee

Mid-East - Clemson, NC State, South Carolina, West Virginia/ or, Virginia Tech

East - Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Miami

Please feel to fire away at this proposed structure and most likely come up with your own better structure.

vintage summer GIF by Jessica Lea Mayfield

ESPN’s Greg McElroy: Big Ten would rather raid the ACC, not the Pac-12

I understand him saying what he is saying due to the unrest the ACC is facing right now, why he thinks BIG 10 would go after schools on the East Coast over the West Coast.

I don't agree with him on his reasoning towards the West Coast, just because they apprehended the LA market.

b1c0aef2a9435b5db440b728693672e0

SUPERWESTSPORTS.COM

ESPN's Greg McElroy: Big Ten would rather raid the ACC, not the Pac-12

If super conferences (20+ schools) are on the horizon, then the Pac, B12 and MW should just reconfigure themselves into two 20ish school conferences. The Pac 10 + B12 Texas schools TT, Baylor, TCU, Houston and BYU + MW schools SD St, SJ St, Fresno St and UNLV + SMU or UTSA would make a solid multi time zone conference with nearly every major media market west of the Mississippi. The B12 could have the remaining MW and add others as they see fit. I think the B10 and SEC will gobble up the Prime ACC schools and the remaining ACC schools probably join up with the AAC or something like that.

Seems like some sort of epic seismic shift is on the horizon. If ESPN and Fox see it to their advantage, I could see them altering media agreements to accommodate it. Personally, 20+ schools per conference seems too big to me but I'm probably too old school for these newfangled times.

• Thumbs Up 1

JJ, I agree this stuff is such fun to conjure up, dissect and even be unrealistic about.

Afterall dreaming big costs nothing but a little time and exercises the brain. There have been some awesome ideas presented by the Forum, heres my take.......

Their are only 2 absolutes in this current realm of realignment:

1. The BIG and SEC will get what

they want. When they want it,

where they want it and how

they want it.

2. If either the BIG or SEC wanted

the Ducks or Huskies they 

would have invited them

already.

The Ducks have not been invited...

So the PAC should be ready to shape its future......

If the ACC blows up, then the SEC and BIG will take what they want. Will the left overs have value?

The BIG 12 will take some of the leftovers because they simply have no standards. Everybody is invited..

Consider that the PAC has a chance to survive by going to 16 teams. Pick the best media markets available to the Group of 5 schools who desire to join. Dont worry about that schools research grants or memberships. None of that nonsense matters on the field or hardwood.

What matters is media market value.........

Whoever shapes the best 4th P-5 Conference with Utah, Oregon & Uw on board will lap the BIG 12 in the #3 spot.  I doubt the PAC leadership can lead in this situation but if the ACC splits then the PAC should offer the survivors a life line.

Afterall, look at the situation that was created when the arrogant PAC Presidents, including the usc back stabbing viper, refused to offer a lifeline to the BIG 12. What a foolish mistake.

Will the PAC repeat that mistake?

Have 2 divisions in 4 pods to minimize travel. Then showcase Utah, Oregon and uw's star power. Help the newcomers build market value and for goodness sake....

Some  school in the New Pac please bring home a Natty.....

• Thumbs Up 1

Makes sense. In addition to Oregon, Washington, UNC, Duke and Georgia Tech, I think these seven schools have a shot at the B1G:  Notre Dame, Stanford, Cal, Miami, Florida State, Clemson, Virginia.  

Not all of them will be added, but I think these are the only 12 schools that have any hope of inclusion into the B1G.  

Edited by Rufus
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/19/2023 at 4:27 PM, NJDuck said:

ESPN’s Greg McElroy: Big Ten would rather raid the ACC, not the Pac-12

I understand him saying what he is saying due to the unrest the ACC is facing right now, why he thinks BIG 10 would go after schools on the East Coast over the West Coast.

I don't agree with him on his reasoning towards the West Coast, just because they apprehended the LA market.

b1c0aef2a9435b5db440b728693672e0

SUPERWESTSPORTS.COM

ESPN's Greg McElroy: Big Ten would rather raid the ACC, not the Pac-12

An uninformed source. What inside information does an SEC network employee have? ESPN is not in the B1G broadcast mix come next season.

The ACC has 5 AAU member schools, Duke, Georgia Tech, UNC, Pitt, and Georgia Tech. AAU membership matters to the B1G powers that be. 

I think that Duke, UNC, and UVA are on the B1G's radar and if the ACC breaks up Notre Dame would be a no-brainer addition.

Thanks for the post.

On 5/19/2023 at 5:50 PM, Rufus said:

Makes sense. In addition to Oregon, Washington, UNC, Duke and Georgia Tech, I think these seven schools have a shot at the B1G:  Notre Dame, Stanford, Cal, Miami, Florida State, Clemson, Virginia.  

Not all of them will be added, but I think these are the only 12 schools that have any hope of inclusion into the B1G.  

The B1G would lay down the red carpet for Notre Dame. Miami has decent academic creds but is a small private school, smaller than Northwestern.

Clemson and FSU while attractive candidates from a football prospective do not have B1G-like academic qualifications.

Thanks for the great comment.

On 5/19/2023 at 5:44 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

JJ, I agree this stuff is such fun to conjure up, dissect and even be unrealistic about.

Afterall dreaming big costs nothing but a little time and exercises the brain. There have been some awesome ideas presented by the Forum, heres my take.......

they want it.

would have invited them

already.

If the ACC blows up, then the SEC and BIG will take what they want. Will the left overs have value?

The BIG 12 will take some of the leftovers because they simply have no standards. Everybody is invited..

Consider that the PAC has a chance to survive by going to 16 teams. Pick the best media markets available to the Group of 5 schools who desire to join. Dont worry about that schools research grants or memberships. None of that nonsense matters on the field or hardwood.

Whoever shapes the best 4th P-5 Conference with Utah, Oregon & Uw on board will lap the BIG 12 in the #3 spot.  I doubt the PAC leadership can lead in this situation but if the ACC splits then the PAC should offer the survivors a life line.

Afterall, look at the situation that was created when the arrogant PAC Presidents, including the usc back stabbing viper, refused to offer a lifeline to the BIG 12. What a foolish mistake.

Have 2 divisions in 4 pods to minimize travel. Then showcase Utah, Oregon and uw's star power. Help the newcomers build market value and for goodness sake....

Are there 6 G5 teams in the West that meet the Pac-10 academic standards? I think SDSU would qualify and is on the shortlist. 

SMU qualifies as does Rice and Tulane. 

I'd grab these 3 of these, not Rice and also Fresno and UNLV and perhaps, Boise. Academics be darned. It's about survival and not academics. A number of existing Pac-10 members have no better academics than the last 3 on the potential list.

At least on my list that the Pac-10 powers-that-be will surely and correctly ignore. 

On 5/19/2023 at 5:44 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

they want it.

would have invited them

already.

Happy, I have but one minor disagreement. I do not see B1G/Fox making an offer to the NW schools before knowing the terms of the new media deal in order to have a real lowball number.

Great post!

Thank you all for the great thoughts.

Lots to ponder. You are the Einsteins of CFB.

pipe einstein GIF

The attractiveness of Miami for the B1G would be location.  The B1G needs better representation in the top football recruiting hotbeds in the country.  They just added California, the 4th top football recruiting state.  The top 3 are:  Texas, Florida, Georgia.  

The best Texas can offer is TCU and Baylor, so I don’t see any hope of the B1G going into Texas.  

But, Georgia Tech, Florida State and Miami are there for the picking.  The SEC might be interested in FSU as well, but I doubt the SEC wants Georgia Tech and Miami.  Both schools are in large media markets with fertile recruiting territory the B1G needs.  

On 5/20/2023 at 1:17 PM, Rufus said:

The attractiveness of Miami for the B1G would be location.  The B1G needs better representation in the top football recruiting hotbeds in the country.  They just added California, the 4th top football recruiting state.  The top 3 are:  Texas, Florida, Georgia.  

The best Texas can offer is TCU and Baylor, so I don’t see any hope of the B1G going into Texas.  

But, Georgia Tech, Florida State and Miami are there for the picking.  The SEC might be interested in FSU as well, but I doubt the SEC wants Georgia Tech and Miami.  Both schools are in large media markets with fertile recruiting territory the B1G needs.  

Great observations.

Regarding collusion, I should have added that conference members when they pledge their grant of rights agree to mitigated damages.

Pay the applicable exit fee and you are free to go.

Hard to believe that all of the members of the ACC including Clemson and FUS agreed to a $120M exit fee. Although as we saw when Maryland left the ACC for the B1G it litigated and settled at a lesser exit fee amount.