NJDuck

Gold: With ESPN (Maybe, Likely?) Out, Where Does the Pac-12 Land?

Ok?  Gold seems to try and present a funny spoof off of the ongoing saga of the Pac-12 media rights situation.

With some reporting that the Pac-12 and ESPN are not in discussion and that a deal between the conference and the media giant seems unlikely, and others contending that the fat lady has not indeed sung, things nonetheless are appearing grim at the moment for our beloved conference out west.

But great news, Pac-12 fans. There are plenty of fish in the sea! Who needs ESPN when you’ve got (checks notes) … ION Television? The CW Network? Don’t laugh now — those are two of the potential Pac-12 destinations being bandied about, no matter how silly.

Why stop there? Broadcast and cable television offer dozens of potential landing spots for the Pac-12. It’s time for optimism and big ideas, and I’m nothing if not an ideas guy.

Here are some of my preferred viewing options, with some potential choice programming

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

With things looking grim for the Pac-12's next media deal, columnist Jon Gold takes a comical look at some potential landing spots and offers some programming advice.

What was his source for ESPN not being in the mix?

ESPN was shut out of the LA market by Fox. ESPN needs late-night kick-offs on the Left Coast. 

I'm sick and tired of this unsourced so-called journalism. 

Dennis Dodd's source for this stuff was an unnamed B12 person.

These fools can vomit whatever they like in an attempt to get clicks. 

GK speaks to what is going on or Wilner/Canzano report on media negotiations and I will pay attention.

Attention is all that Gold and other dip-sticks are looking for.

• Applause 1

NJD - no ajata directed at you for posting this tarnished Gold take. It certainly has a bearing on today's situation. 

Bearing? With this guy's internal compass, I'd be surprised if he can back out of his driveway.

• Haha 1

Parking-lot-reverse-fail.gif

• Haha 2

On 5/24/2023 at 3:03 PM, Jon Joseph said:

NJD - no ajata directed at you for posting this tarnished Gold take. It certainly has a bearing on today's situation. 

Bearing? With this guy's internal compass, I'd be surprised if he can back out of his driveway.

No worries.  I know you are not directing this personally at me.  You are just responding with your take on the matter.  I agree with you.  The only ones I feel will give us true insight is Canzano, Wilner and Michele Bodkin.  They are the ones closest to the conference heartbeat.  Loved your's and Woundedknees take of 'can't back his car out of the driveway'. 😄

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/24/2023 at 11:56 AM, Jon Joseph said:

ESPN was shut out of the LA market by Fox. ESPN needs late-night kick-offs on the Left Coast. 

My guess is that ESPN isn't out but they are refusing to offer what the PAC may be worth.

We are a filler conference in their eyes and we should fill the 7pm time slot and like it. 

But if we go elsewhere... Oh that's a big problem for them. Because sure they can pay the mountain west pennies to fill those 7pm slots but they won't draw anywhere near the eyeballs the PAC does. 

• Thumbs Up 1