Jon Joseph

The Pac-12 Will Have Some Great QB Fist Fights in 2023

Has there ever been a time when the conference had this number of quality QBs? 

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Caleb Williams vs. Cam Rising. Bo Nix vs. Michael Penix Jr. Dante Moore vs. Jaden Rashada (maybe). The Pac-12 is packed with prime passing matchups in 2023.

• Applause 1

I think the difference in many of these match ups is not going to be who wins the QB duel, but what defense is best positioned to at least slow some of these QBs down. 

My hope is Oregon has bulked up in the secondary, linebacker coverage and pass rush enough to be a team that can do that. We'll see how things come together on the D. But it looks like Lanning has made some moves and gotten some portal guys that will improve the D in those three areas. 

I don't think anyone is going to totally shut down any of those guys, but making it hard on them by tight coverage and pass rush enough to slow them down some will make a big difference.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 5/30/2023 at 8:59 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Has there ever been a time when the conference had this number of quality QBs? 

Feels like there has to be a time when the league was this deep, just with the history of this conference being the best when it comes to college QBs.  

Certainly this year stands out with both the experienced QBs and few pretty hyped freshman QBs who are going to get their chance.  This isn't even mentioning some pretty interesting situations at OSU and Colorado where you have a former 5 star and the coaches kid who was pretty outstanding at a much lower level of competition.

You look at the mid tier QBs in De Laura and Ward it becomes abundantly clear that this league is stacked, there's only about one school that doesn't feel pretty good in their QB room (Cal).

• Applause 1

There is a Dawg podcaster by the name of Uncle Lou who broadcast, on Wednesday I believe, his forecast for Heisman finalists. He starts by saying that the Heisman is basically a OB award and proceeds to say that, without question, the Pac-12 has the best array of QBs. He proceeds to analyze the pros and cons of his 10 Heisman favorites and concludes that two finalists will be PAC-12 QBs: Bo Nix and Caleb Williams. He (wisely in my opinion) doesn't forecast a winner.

Thought you guys might find this interesting. Uncle Lou's  podcasts are available on you tube. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1