Jon Joseph

CBS Sports - A Take on Instant Impact P-12 Portal Pickups

It's nice to see CBS Sports reporting something positive in regard to the Pac-12.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Colorado loaded up in the transfer portal, as did Arizona State, but other Pac-12 teams made targeted moves

Like the love for DE Burch.

ESPN has also weighed in with impact transfers and recruits ranked by team.

6. Oregon - Ranked overall 8 by ESPN in 2023 recruiting (includes transfers.)

Expected to contribute immediately - DE Jordan Burch (USCe)/ OL -Junior Angilau (Texas) Will he be healthy enough to make an impact?/ LB - Jestin Jacobs (Iowa)/ DE - M. Uiagalelei.

Also mentioned - WR - Trashon Holden (Alabama)/ OL - Ajani Cornelius (Rhode Island)/ DBs - Cole Martin and Roderick Pleasant/ WR - Ashton Cozart

Tez Johnson is among other new Oregon players, a glaring miss.

Other ranked Pac-12 teams - 5. Colorado/ 9. UCLA/ 20. ASU/ 24. Washington

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This certainly is interesting.  

Have heard from a good source that there are some whispers in Corvallis that DJU MAY NOT get the starting job.  There seems to be some vibes that Chiles who is a dual threat guy COULD beat him out for the #1 spot.   Again some conjecture here but might be something to keep an eye on.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm hearing the Chiles hype train as well.  I'm also hearing that it really is a 3 way battle.  Gulbranson did go 7-1 as a starter last season.  

• Thumbs Up 1

My question has been...."DJ can't make it with Clemson talent, but he's going to do it at Oregon State?"

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

My thoughts as well Mr. Fischer but I did not want to come off as a negative Nancy so I tempered the discussion a bit.

And yes, Gulbranson may well be in the mix too.  He is not the most fleet of foot but they have a decent running back in Martinez so don't need him to be.  I am not sure about the receiving corp, seems they might have lost a few to graduation and of course Musgrave went to the NFL but as much as it pains me to say it, Smith gets the most out of his guys.  The question will be their D.  Omar Speights who was all P12 last year transferred to LSU and again the whispers in Corvallis are that was a 'major loss'.

Edited by Augduck

On 6/6/2023 at 4:10 PM, Augduck said:

Smith gets the most out of his guys

Look...I don't know how he does it.  His recruiting rankings are so-so, and he did not bring much in through the portal this year, so...

It is truly a miracle coaching achievement in Corvallis.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck