Rufus

Comcast Overpayment to Pac-12 Actually Over $70 million

Thanks for nailing this HORRENDOUS number.

The dismissed network executives claim in their wrongful termination suit against the conference that they told Larry in 2017 about this 'accounting' problem and Larry swept it under the rug. It will be an all-time legal blunder if the conference does not cross-claim against Larry. D+O Insurance should cover the damages if Larry is found to have covered up. Also standing in line as a defendant should be the conference's public accounting firm.

The only problem? A suit against Larry will expose the folks that Larry reported to as being morons; this is probably unfair to morons. And why would the conference have paid Larry a $1,5M severance bonus if there were any problems with Larry's conduct? 

Pac-10 athletic departments can ill afford this hit. See the financial problems publicly reported by Washington and Washington State.  

Not as big a number, around $2+M, or even close but add San Francisco premises restoration to this Comcast debacle. Why in the heck did the conference ever move out of Mountain View, CA.? Why was the network headquartered in San Francisco; I guess even the conference 'leaders' recognized that Honolulu was too far to go. 

BRUTAL!

• Yikes! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks JJ for posting this information. I just continue to shake my head as thos all unfolds...

The PAC Conference leadership has done a great job of digging their own financial grave with some poor decisions. Repeated poor decisions.

Now, on the surface only with no sources, it appears that the networks want to lowball the PAC and thus shovel the dirt in the grave.

What a mess this is. Each achool may need help from their top boosters to pay this debt(s).

Dont know about you forum members but i donate to charities that have a proven track record of fiscal responsibility.

Dont see much of that in PAC leadetship. Wishing the best for all the remaining PAC schools to get this debt handled.

Happy, great take. Rufus should get the credit for the post on which I merely commented.

Let's get together to recount all of the miserable business decisions made by conference "leaders" by commissions and omissions, going back to the days of Tom Hansen.

I'm retired. If you are employed the time for the review will require you to take a week off.

It's as if the folks in charge of the conference wanted to elevate the SEC and B1G while working their way toward Ivy League status. 

The LA schools were part and parcel of this ongoing decades-long fiasco and are escaping only due to an accident of geography and the desire of one network to injure another.

Thanks Rufus for the link.......

Personally the biggest mistake the remaining PAC 10 leadership groups and all the commishes made.......

NOT LISTENING to usc and ucla's complaints about their feelings about the equal revenue sharing plan.

Supposedly, they generates 40% of the media value and wanted a larger %. I dont blame them....

They were told to pound sand and thus the PAC lost their media value.

WSU, OSU and Arizona contribute very little to the media value. They are great contributors to the landscape but not to the media value 

I wonder who is pounding sand now?

On 6/11/2023 at 12:22 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Thanks Rufus for the link.......

Personally the biggest mistake the remaining PAC 10 leadership groups and all the commishes made.......

NOT LISTENING to usc and ucla's complaints about their feelings about the equal revenue sharing plan.

Supposedly, they generates 40% of the media value and wanted a larger %. I dont blame them....

They were told to pound sand and thus the PAC lost their media value.

WSU, OSU and Arizona contribute very little to the media value. They are great contributors to the landscape but not to the media value 

I wonder who is pounding sand now?

I know that the conference has agreed, pending the media deal being finalized, to schools that make the college football playoff retaining a bigger piece of the pie. Unlike the ACC which is paying both CFB playoff teams and CBB Tournament playoff teams a bigger share of what they earn.

I know conference survival comes first but the Ducks and UW had the leverage to get a bigger piece of the revenue pie and did not push their advantage to make more than for instance, The Cardinal and its empty gameday stadium.  In the long run, this will make it easier for the B1G to add Oregon and UW at a media revenue discount.  But when have the conference "leaders" ever played the long game? 

Larry the gift that keeps on giving, returned the conference to equal media shares when he added CU and Utah to save face from Texas giving him the stiff arm.  SC in particular complained at the time and no one listened. And for GK not to be aware of the LA schools' angst and allow the B12 to get ahead of him media-wise after not pushing for adding B12 teams and putting the B12 to sleep, was simply vapid from a business POV.  

My guess? The LA schools leaving doesn't happen under a guy like Jim Delaney's watch. 

• Thumbs Up 1