NJDuck

Oregon Listed as Top Revenue Earning Pac-12 School During 2022 Fiscal Year

In a list released by USA Today, the Ducks were at the top of the Pac-12 in total revenue.

The results weren't particularly surprising, but Ohio State did lead the way, generating over $251.6 million in revenue with $225.73 million in total expenses. This list can only produce numbers from public universities, as private institutions do not make this information public. 

As for the Pac-12, Oregon led the way over rival Washington. Oregon finished the 2022 season with $153,510,555 million in revenue and $140,565,297 million in expenses, leaving a net positive of $12,945,258 million throughout the fiscal 2021-2022 calendar year. Oregon allocated $530,816 to the athletic program in 2021-2022. 

247SPORTS.COM

In a list released by USA Today, the Ducks were at the top of the Pac-12 in total revenue.

Reassuring numbers for the Ducks. 

2024 UCLA numbers will be VERY interesting to watch with their travel. UCLA will in many ways be the guinea pig for whether Oregon should even look at joining the B1G in the future. 

Yes... If Oregon were to join the B1G their expenses wouldn't be as high as 2024 UCLA'S because at that point there would be a western pod and the ducks would have one to two away games on the west coast presumably but the rest of the conference away games would be expensive in terms of travel. 

I'm just not seeing the advantage of oregon going to the B1G outside of some perception of prestige and earning more money I gross before expenses which would be bigger.

• Thumbs Up 3

There are many more advantages to joining the B1G than just the money.  It will greatly increase exposure nationwide. No one is going to hunt for the Oregon game on an awkward cable channel or purchase Apple TV unless they are hardcore fans.  USC and UCLA are about to experience a dramatic increase in nationwide exposure.  Their games will be on prime channels at times the entire nation is watching.  

Another benefit - more big time matchups against top brands.  Look at the excitement nationwide for the recently released B1G and SEC 2024 conference schedules.  Do you think the PAC-12 schedule release will receive that buzz?   Do you think top recruits will now look at schedules and think of the excitement of possibly playing in the B1G or SEC as opposed to the boringness of the PAC-12 schedule?   Do I want to be a star of the USC vs. Ohio State game on CBS with a nationwide audience or do I want to be the star of Oregon vs. Washington State on Apple TV where no one will hear my name or see my skills except the hardcore fans with Apple TV subscriptions?

I think the B1G and SEC will find ways to brand major companies as exclusive to their conferences NIL deals.  Example:  Toyota enters into an exclusive NIL deal with the B1G for the next x years to select 1 football player, 1 men’s basketball player, 1 women’s basketball player and 1 women’s volleyball player to exclusively represent the Toyota brand. Players TBD but will be selected exclusively from the current 16 B1G schools.  You think all the major corporations wouldn’t line up to do this with either the B1G or SEC?  It makes too much sense.  

On 6/15/2023 at 12:03 PM, Rufus said:

There are many more advantages to joining the B1G than just the money.  It will greatly increase exposure nationwide. No one is going to hunt for the Oregon game on an awkward cable channel or purchase Apple TV unless they are hardcore fans.  USC and UCLA are about to experience a dramatic increase in nationwide exposure.  Their games will be on prime channels at times the entire nation is watching.  

Another benefit - more big time matchups against top brands.  Look at the excitement nationwide for the recently released B1G and SEC 2024 conference schedules.  Do you think the PAC-12 schedule release will receive that buzz?   Do you think top recruits will now look at schedules and think of the excitement of possibly playing in the B1G or SEC as opposed to the boringness of the PAC-12 schedule?   Do I want to be a star of the USC vs. Ohio State game on CBS with a nationwide audience or do I want to be the star of Oregon vs. Washington State on Apple TV where no one will hear my name or see my skills except the hardcore fans with Apple TV subscriptions?

I think the B1G and SEC will find ways to brand major companies as exclusive to their conferences NIL deals.  Example:  Toyota enters into an exclusive NIL deal with the B1G for the next x years to select 1 football player, 1 men’s basketball player, 1 women’s basketball player and 1 women’s volleyball player to exclusively represent the Toyota brand. Players TBD but will be selected exclusively from the current 16 B1G schools.  You think all the major corporations wouldn’t line up to do this with either the B1G or SEC?  It makes too much sense.  

Great take. But there are millions more 'no ones' out there than the 13M who subscribe to the Pac-12 network and who can access streaming.

And yes, when the Pac schedule is released it may not even be covered by Larry's network, and if covered it will receive nowhere close to the B1G schedules released over the FOX/B1G Network and the ESPN/SEC Network.

But it is instructive that Oregon's athletic department is in the black financially, one of the few G5/P5 schools to have this luxury, and that, unlike Wazzu, for example, the department will not live or die based upon media revenue alone.  

Easier to recruit when you have national buzz but recruiting is a people-person business and Dan is burying the majority of B1G schools in 2024 recruiting to date. But I expect recruiting against SC and UCLA especially will become more difficult come 2024 and that in the long run and preferably the short run, Oregon has to find a way to receive more media exposure. I am far less concerned about streaming than you. I more than understand your point but when streaming becomes the norm for sports broadcasting, as it will, along with off-site broadcasts of events, tech advances will make access to streaming far easier than what we have today.

I think that the majority of B1G and SEC games will be streamed within the next 5 years. ESPN+ has already announced that this is on the way and the NBC B1G games broadcast from LA this season will be streamed on Peacock, a network that currently has but 20M subscribers, Take that LA schools!

Oregon has cachet with its brand like no other west coast team other than USC. But it cannot rest on its laurels. One reason I am so frustrated by playing good but off-the-radar B12 teams for the next six seasons OOC. Oregon cannot hide its light under a bushel, especially with the LA teams headed to the B1G which not only hurts media-wise but also SOS-wise. And with a 12-team playoff field arriving in 2024, we can only hope that SOS will matter to the committee. 

Oregon has a "brand" due to past visibility such as ESPN GameDay appearances.  Brand maintenance requires those continued appearances that will accompany the various B1G media partners.

Oregon may be in dead water by the time "streaming becomes the norm."   And, when/if it becomes the norm, the established brands from B1G and SEC will then carry over into streaming.

Oregon cannot dictate future TV opponents.  If the members of the B1G are already uninterested in adding more West Coast teams, why would they suddenly be willing to schedule home-and-home with Oregon non-conference?  Likewise, SEC.  This will become even more predominant for both the SEC and B1G in the future.  Yes, there are a few SEC opponents which have scheduled Pac12 teams, but that is a legacy of the past when games are scheduled 6-7 years in advance.

If the B1G and SEC both adopt 9-game conference schedules, they will be looking at regional opponents in non-conference, and dedicate those game slots to home games only.  At some point, the Big12 may also say, "we don't need Pac12 opponents either."    Mullens is doing the best he can trying to get a pretty girl to dance, but the pretty girl doesn't need Mullens when there are more attractive suitors.  The best he may be able to hope for is a 2 away, 1 home agreement as this evolves over the next few years.  And, that may be the only way Oregon would appear on a major conference network affiliation.

If the SEC, B1G, and Big12 smell blood in the water, they aren't going to offer resuscitation via a home-and-home agreement.  It will be more, "well, we'll see you in Dallas or Atlanta for a neutral site game."

Only issue I see with the numbers is they don't show private schools. ND, BYU, BAYLOR, TCU etc. 

The numbers also prove the PAC10 & BIG12 are very similar.  

On 6/15/2023 at 2:27 PM, HDuck said:

Oregon has a "brand" due to past visibility such as ESPN GameDay appearances.  Brand maintenance requires those continued appearances that will accompany the various B1G media partners.

Oregon may be in dead water by the time "streaming becomes the norm."   And, when/if it becomes the norm, the established brands from B1G and SEC will then carry over into streaming.

Oregon cannot dictate future TV opponents.  If the members of the B1G are already uninterested in adding more West Coast teams, why would they suddenly be willing to schedule home-and-home with Oregon non-conference?  Likewise, SEC.  This will become even more predominant for both the SEC and B1G in the future.  Yes, there are a few SEC opponents which have scheduled Pac12 teams, but that is a legacy of the past when games are scheduled 6-7 years in advance.

If the B1G and SEC both adopt 9-game conference schedules, they will be looking at regional opponents in non-conference, and dedicate those game slots to home games only.  At some point, the Big12 may also say, "we don't need Pac12 opponents either."    Mullens is doing the best he can trying to get a pretty girl to dance, but the pretty girl doesn't need Mullens when there are more attractive suitors.  The best he may be able to hope for is a 2 away, 1 home agreement as this evolves over the next few years.  And, that may be the only way Oregon would appear on a major conference network affiliation.

If the SEC, B1G, and Big12 smell blood in the water, they aren't going to offer resuscitation via a home-and-home agreement.  It will be more, "well, we'll see you in Dallas or Atlanta for a neutral site game."

Great take. Yet Mullens somehow convinced Michigan State to schedule an H+H beginning 7 seasons from now. Scheduled Ohio State to a home-and-home series. What is the degree of difficulty in playing in Autzen when Ohio State was scheduled and when Michigan State shows up 7 seasons down the road compared to today? If there is any with DL at the helm, Autzen will likely be a more difficult place to play. So, using Autzen as an excuse, which I have never heard out of Rob himself, is an excuse for not closing better deals.  

Coffee is for closers. You don't ask for the sale, you don't make the sale. IMO the 6 games against B12 teams are a result of Rob serving on the playoff committee in Grapevine, Texas, and following the Texas Tech AD in the role of committee chairman. I am far from certain that Rob is doing the best he can. If it's his best a lot of Pac-10 ADs are better at OCC scheduling. This includes the Wazzu, ASU, Arizona, Cal, CU, Stanford, and Utah ADs. Yes, Autzen is a tough place to play but it is also difficult playing in Salt Lake City and Utah is the 2 time defending Pac-12 champion. Also, the UW AD, Jen Cohen, did a superior scheduling job before Ohio State chickened out. 

What connections does Oregon otherwise have for playing TX Tech, Baylor, and OK State? The 1 cupcake, mid-level G5 opponent, and respectable but not great P5 team model worked in the 4-team playoff era. There is a reason why many SEC teams, Bama at Wisconsin in 2024, H+H with Texas in 2022/23, Georgia vs Clemson in 2024, and B1G teams, Texas at Michigan in 2024, Ohio State H+H vs Notre Dame in 2023/24 are ramping up the OOC schedules. The reason is the coming 12-team playoff. Oregon's SOS is already taking a hit with the LA schools departing, possibly replaced with SDSU and SMU. It needs better P5 OOC opponents to offset this.

But, I am well aware that I could be wrong, not as to viewer numbers of Oregon games that will on average certainly decline the next 6 seasons unless there is a big streaming bump, but as to Rob's OOC scheduling model that may be acceptable to the playoff committee in which case I will be the first to apologize.

On 6/15/2023 at 12:28 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Great take. Yet Mullens somehow convinced Michigan State to schedule an H+H beginning 7 seasons from now. Scheduled Ohio State to a home-and-home series. What is the degree of difficulty in playing in Autzen when Ohio State was scheduled and when Michigan State shows up 7 seasons down the road compared to today? If there is any with DL at the helm, Autzen will likely be a more difficult place to play. So, using Autzen as an excuse, which I have never heard out of Rob himself, is an excuse for not closing better deals.  

Coffee is for closers. You don't ask for the sale, you don't make the sale. IMO the 6 games against B12 teams are a result of Rob serving on the playoff committee in Grapevine, Texas, and following the Texas Tech AD in the role of committee chairman. I am far from certain that Rob is doing the best he can. If it's his best a lot of Pac-10 ADs are better at OCC scheduling. This includes the Wazzu, ASU, Arizona, Cal, CU, Stanford, and Utah ADs. Yes, Autzen is a tough place to play but it is also difficult playing in Salt Lake City and Utah is the 2 time defending Pac-12 champion. Also, the UW AD, Jen Cohen, did a superior scheduling job before Ohio State chickened out. 

What connections does Oregon otherwise have for playing TX Tech, Baylor, and OK State? The 1 cupcake, mid-level G5 opponent, and respectable but not great P5 team model worked in the 4-team playoff era. There is a reason why many SEC teams, Bama at Wisconsin in 2024, H+H with Texas in 2022/23, Georgia vs Clemson in 2024, and B1G teams, Texas at Michigan in 2024, Ohio State H+H vs Notre Dame in 2023/24 are ramping up the OOC schedules. The reason is the coming 12-team playoff. Oregon's SOS is already taking a hit with the LA schools departing, possibly replaced with SDSU and SMU. It needs better P5 OOC opponents to offset this.

But, I am well aware that I could be wrong, not as to viewer numbers of Oregon games that will on average certainly decline the next 6 seasons unless there is a big streaming bump, but as to Rob's OOC scheduling model that may be acceptable to the playoff committee in which case I will be the first to apologize.

On 6/15/2023 at 6:05 PM, DUCKED said:

I appreciate your takes Jon, and the takes of so many others who put in the time and effort so those of us who are too lazy, or can’t put our book down, don’t have to.

A question, though…. Where do you find the time to play golf?

On 6/15/2023 at 9:11 PM, DUCKED said:

I appreciate your takes Jon, and the takes of so many others who put in the time and effort so those of us who are too lazy, or can’t put our book down, don’t have to.

A question, though…. Where do you find the time to play golf?

Thanks, my friend. We've had so much rain in the SE this winter and spring that I have time on my hands I blame the weather as the reason why I did not qualify for the US Open. 

PA Duck, NJ Duck, all moderators, and Charles are the ones who truly deserve the credit. 

Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1