Pennsylvania Duck

History Of Oregon Senior Quarterbacks - Part 1 & Part 2

We look at not only great senior QBs, but also QBs that had a great “final” season

in looking over the history of great Oregon QBs, we find that there were great QBs of the past that didn’t play a senior season, much like many modern quarterbacks of the past 15 or so years.

With that in mind, it might be more appropriate to refer to this as a look at the final season of great Oregon QBs, be they senior or not. Most of them were seniors, but we can’t leave out the greats that left after their junior season.

Also, “greatness” can’t be a universal application regardless of the era. College football may be basically the same game that it was 75 years ago, but it has undergone wholesale evolution to get where it is today.

Comparing a QB from today directly and statistically with one that played in the 40’s, 50’s, and 60’s is an out of context comparison. The game has evolved too radically over that time to make those kinds of comparisons.

With that in mind, let’s celebrate the Oregon greatness of a bygone era. 

WWW.ADDICTEDTOQUACK.COM

We look at not only great senior QBs, but also QBs that had a great "final" season
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

History of Oregon Senior Quarterbacks - Part 2

The Senior Quarterback History, as Badwater mentioned, was an idea formed from Bo Nix’s performance as a Senior. A performance, it turns out, that won’t be his final in Eugene.

Badwater’s knowledge of the history of Oregon players is unparalleled, but I do remember my portion of the list quite well, as it coincides with the beginning of my Duck fandom.

Luckily enough, I was able to speak with one of the men on this list, Mr. Dennis Dixon, as he did a weekly segment at the television studio I work at.

Though Dennis, who’s final year at UO was my first year, didn’t actually do a sit down interview with me, he did provide some insight into some of his best memories of that emotional roller coaster known as the 2007 season.

So let’s get going with the next crop of Senior QBs, starting with the predecessor to Akili Smith…

WWW.ADDICTEDTOQUACK.COM

Continuing the list with the Senior QBs of the 21st Century

Reggie, Reggie!

Joey Harrington's senior year team waxed a CU team that had destroyed Nebraska in the final game of the regular season. Which team went to the Rose Bowl to play for the BCS championship, Nebraska?

But in hindsight, no team in the country was going to defeat the Miami team that blew out Nebraska and its Heisman Trophy-winning QB. The role computers played in choosing the BCS participants was significantly reduced after this in-your-face to Joey and the Ducks. This was 1 of at least 3 occasions when the Pac-12 was BCS hosed over. Yet, the conference approved the BCS x 2, the so-called playoff without doing a thing to take back the Rose Bowl and allowing the Rose Bowl to have the same 'playoff' status as the Peach Bowl. 

Charles had a terrific post up the other day noting how smartly the SEC has been managed since the inception of the BCS. 'Smart' and Pac-12 management are polar opposites. 

• Thanks 1
  • Mic drop 1