DimpleDucks

Anthony Brown and His Private QB Coach

Hi everyone! First post, here.

Does anyone else remember an article in July 2021 by Jame Crepea of the Oregonian where he interviewed both Brown and Shough at the Manning Camp? 

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2021/07/tyler-shough-anthony-brown-reflect-on-splitting-time-as-oregon-ducks-qbs-in-2020.html

The article is an insightful read about the internal dynamics of QB play during last season and into the Winter of 2021. I didn't know players could have their own private coaches, and especially ones who talk to the media about their "pupil's" playing time. Shough had anticipated a competition for the starting spot but realized right away that Brown would be getting the majority of the snaps. Brown's private coach had expressed his frustration at Brown's lack of snaps in 2020 and "intimated that the former Boston College signal caller would be exploring other options".

Six weeks later, Shough entered the transfer portal seeking a fresh start. He acknowledged some troubles getting along with Moorhead and wanted to transfer some place where he could have a good relationship with the coaches, grow as a QB and compete.

Is there still a struggle as to who is/should be the starting QB? Are Moorhead and Cristobal on the same page?

• Thumbs Up 1

Whew!  This throws another variable into this that leaves us guessing, as to your question--I have no idea. I get the power dynamics inside a quarterback room, but man--the impact on the program is so immense, especially with the transfer portal.

And please keeping sharing your thoughts often WELCOME!

(Please excuse my anal tendency to edit a post on occasion. I like to see all-caps in a title except for the inconsequential words as they do in publishing with AP or Associated Press style.  And I like to see "reading spaces" inserted so that a paragraph does not go longer than three lines to make it easier on old eyes. My thanks!)

Mr. FishDuck

Another gem of knowledge.   A private coach apparently acting like a player's agent. 

Here is something that has yet to be speculated...

Maybe Brown CAN hit those throws - in practice.  But can't in games and the coaches are 'waiting' for the talent to rise up?

Kind of like a hitter who can crush batting practice, but strikes out all the time. 

Ty and the others need to get their chance in the Cal game.  You can't just sit on mediocre and accept a meaningless bowl game and another wasted season -  when you can take a chance to get your team back in the playoff hunt.  Even if that chance costs you another game.  

Its playoffs or nothing.  Roll the Dice.  Go for Broke.  

On 10/3/2021 at 9:39 PM, oregon112 said:

Maybe Brown CAN hit those throws - in practice.  But can't in games and the coaches are 'waiting' for the talent to rise up?

Perhaps you are right that he is not a "gamer."  I recall how when Bill Musgrave was QB, he had the least amount of talent of the quarterback room but on the field--performed the best.  A gamer...

Mr. FishDuck