crazyjeff

If YOU Were the Pac-12 Commissioner...??

If I were the commissioner, the first thing I would do is negotiate with the Mountain West Conference. I would get them to release SDSU and possibly one other school in exchange for a guarantee that we would not raid their conference anymore and some scheduling perks, for example, playing more games in their stadiums. I would also enter into an athletic alliance with them (Western States Athletic Alliance?).

We would remain separate athletic conferences, but we would negotiate media rights together. They would not get the same level of payout as we would, but both conferences should be able to increase their media deals, because together they would have a near monopoly of football and basketball inventory in the Western United States.  I would then concentrate my further expansion efforts in Texas. Would this work, or am I crazy?  What would you do if you were in charge?

Having a different opinion here is not crazy, and you will be disagreed with, but we insist on everyone being "polite and respectful" to each other.

With that, I disagree with your premise; if MW teams were a great thing to watch, then their contract would reflect the number of eyes on them. I see no benefit to merging the two conferences for media purposes, other than to dilute the Pac-12 product further.  MW teams would benefit; we would not.

Nobody wants to watch most of those teams play, and thus why I personally am not in favor of bringing on Fresno State, Boise, etc., into the Pac-12, although SDST is fine.

Mr. FishDuck

If I were San Diego I'd stay put.......until the whole thing stabilizes. They would look silly to join the pac 9 and then be told Arizona, Utah and Az St are leaving.

Aside from that, I'd resign. He is in way over his head. He won't. It's obvious that a media deal is a fantasy. When the pac lost LA.....the ship struck the ice. Colorado is a rat. 

The streaming services know exactly what they are doing. Behind the scenes they are the ones deciding where everybody ends up. If they want Oregon in the big 10, no university president or commissioner is going to stop it. This is a pure business decision. 

Just a few years ago the NCAA believed in amateur sports......then transfers and nil came and money determines if you can hire the QB you need. Cash everybody is also chasing in the realignment for facilities, staff and admin. 

Sad, but I liked buggy whips also. An era has ended in college sports.