Jon Joseph

College Football - How Will Pac-12 Heisman Candidate QBs Do in the Pac-12 in 2023?

[Quotes below and references, in general, come from a recent article posted by Adam Rittenberg on paywall, ESPN+ A few non-Pac-12 QBs are also discussed below.]

BO NIX - (HUZZAH + QUACK!) OREGON 

'Pac-12 coaches respect Nix's experience and knowledge of the game.' But will Bo dally without Dilly? Or, will he lift a Stein, not to Dear Olde Maine, but in celebration of a Pac-12 championship? 

"... some Pac-12 coaches say Nix is at his best when operating in a streamlined scheme. One noted Nix's early struggles against North Carolina in the Holiday Bowl before Oregon dropped most of the pre-snap motion and shifting and made it simple for Bo." KISS is not a bad principle to apply in any endeavor. 

Will OL coach A'Lique Terry be able to assemble a quality O line to take advantage of the deepest running back room in the Pac-12 featuring Bucky Irving, Noah Whittingham and Jordan James, and a terrific set of WRs new to the program and returning (Troy Franklin)? A solid O-line and a great room of running backs make it easier to keep things simple and the new speed in Eugene with players like Nix'z brother, Tez Johnson, should allow Oregon the stretch the field and pressure a defense. 

I like Bo and the Ducks to win the final, as we know it, Pac-12 title in 2023 and advance to the Cotton or Fiesta Bowl. In the final season of the Playoff Final 4, I think it will be extremely difficult for any Pac-12 team to finish with fewer than 2 losses. 

CALEB WILLIAMS - USC

Will Caleb run it back and become only the second player to win back-to-back Heisman Trophies? (The 2nd of Archie Griffin's Heisman Awards should have gone to Cal running back Chuck Muncie. But character mattered back when as did and does, the Ohio State brand.)

From a Pac-12 DC - "Everybody (?) said [USC] had a good O-line last year, but that's just because Caleb could run." And 'old friend' Troy Dye also helped the cause.

This will be Caleb's 3rd season playing for Lincoln Riley and Kliff Kingsbury is on the scene to help with the offense. (Too many cooks?) And 100% recovered from a dinged-up knee, Caleb will continue to stress defenses with his arm and legs. Caleb benefits from playing Washington and Utah in LA. And also potentially benefits from having the week off before the Pac-12 Conference Champion game. (Thank you Pac-12 HQ.)

The game in Autzen against once and future (Nuck, Nuck, Nuck) opponent USC, Bo versus Caleb on 9/11/23 should be epic. And should have a major effect on the two teams that will match up for the title in Las Vegas.

MICHAEL PENIX, Jr. - WASHINGTON (BOO!)

In 2022, Penix reunited with his former OC at Indiana, Kalen DeBoer, and finally stayed healthy for 12 games. In the regular season, Penix set UW records with 4,641 passing yards and 4,733 yards of total offense. Like Bo Nix, Penix was sacked only 5 times in 2022, in his case, on 573 dropbacks. 

In 2023, UW returns on the O-line its 2 starting tackles. And UW also returns its 3 top receivers from the 2022 team, falling only behind Ohio State in the quality of the wide receiver room but with the luxury of having Panix back while Ohio State will be playing a new QB. Getting Oregon and Utah in Seattle, at least on paper, helps UW's championship cause. Playing at USC and Oregon State will be tough. 

Like Oregon and USC, how much will a suspect UW D in 2022 improve in 2023? 

I think Penix, if healthy, will through for 5,000 plus yards in 2023 and will be in NYC for the Heisman Trophy presentation. What a swan song it would be to have 3 Pac-12 QBs, all playing for teams headed to the B1G in 2024, in NYC in 2023.

.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

A couple of overrated QBs heading into 2023? I think so.

JORDAN TRAVIS - FSU

Like the team he plays for, I and more importantly several ACC coaches believe that coming into 2023, Travis is overrated. Yes, FSU won 6 of its last seven outings in 2022 but 5 wins came against teams with losing records and the bowl game win came against a 6-6 Oklahoma team that the Seminoles defeated 35-32. 

I think FSU is 2023's 2022 version of Texas A+M. I think LSU and returning 2nd-year transfer QB JT Daniels, will expose FSU on 9/3/23 in Orlando.

SAM HARTMAN - NOTRE DAME

An excellent college football QB? Or, a 'system QB' if there ever was one? No one benefited more from playing in Wake Forest coach Dave Clawsen's Slo-Mesh RPO-oriented offense than did Hartman. Notre Dame has never run an RPO-oriented offense. Dropping back without RPO 'candy' will be a new experience for Hartman. And his group of wide receivers in South Bend are far from elite. 

Against Pitt last season Pitt coach Pat Narduzzi decided to go with an all-out blitzing D and attack Hartman. Hartman threw 6 interceptions in the game. Pitt is back on the schedule in 2023.

I think Hartman and Notre Dame are overrated coming into 2023.

BONUS! TYLER VAN DYKE - MIAMI (Cristobal fans, stop reading!)

The 2021 ACC Rookie of the Year disappeared in 2022 even before he was banged up.

"ACC coaches ... attribute his backslide more to coaching/schematic issues than anything to do with his game." "There was no system," one ACC coach said. (OUCH!)

Tyker is now on his 3rd offensive coordinator in 3 seasons. Can't be Cristobal's fault, right? Thank you Canes for arranging for Mari[o] to go MIA.

We are 'this close' to kicking 2023 off. After what may have been the worst off-season ever I am PUMPED UP for some football.

GO DUCKS!

• Thumbs Up 2

Under rated coming into 2023 season

Cameron Rising- Utah.

If he can come up with a couple big wins early, Florida, Baylor, and then make a run in the Pac-12, he is a legitimate Heisman Candidate few are talking about. Everyone is watching the other big stat guys but this guy just wins, and can lead a team. I wouldn't bet against Cameron in any game if the old coach puts together another scrappy team.

I am not surprised the pundits are talking about the above candidates, but a lot of times the winner comes from somewhere off the list.

On 8/12/2023 at 1:49 PM, Haywarduck said:

Under rated coming into 2023 season

Cameron Rising- Utah.

If he can come up with a couple big wins early, Florida, Baylor, and then make a run in the Pac-12, he is a legitimate Heisman Candidate few are talking about. Everyone is watching the other big stat guys but this guy just wins, and can lead a team. I wouldn't bet against Cameron in any game if the old coach puts together another scrappy team.

I am not surprised the pundits are talking about the above candidates, but a lot of times the winner comes from somewhere off the list.

I think he is on the list but has not won a big-time OOC game including the last 2 Rose Bowls.