Jon Joseph

NCAA D1 COUNCIL APPROVES 1 YEAR SIGNING LIMIT WAIVERS TO ACCOUNT FOR TRANSFERS

Do recruiting rankings matter? Heck yes.

No team that did not have a Blue Chip roster, over 50% 5* and 4* recruits, has won a BCS or playoff title.

But and as the recruiting ranking services admit, just totaling the top recruits is now passe.

Alabama came into the the 2021 season at the top on The Blue Chip list with  83% of its roster being 4 and 5 star guys.  I know, you're shocked, right?

This ranking did not include 5* recruit Garrett Wilson from Ohio State, or 4/5* To'o To'o who transferred to Bama from the Vols. In two games this season Wilson has led the Tide in receiving yards. To'o To'o is now the guy calling the Tide's on-field adjustments on D.

Blue Chip rosters, except for the folks setting the line, are not adjusted from game to game. Is Oregon really a Blue Chip team without KT and Flowe suiting up?

Oregon along with the other D1 schools now has the luxury of adding 7 'CFB free agents' to the 2022 class. And there are over 1000 guys in the transfer portal.

And no doubt that tampering will be going on. As TCU coach Gary Patterson recently noted, guys on the TCU roster have been contacted by 5 SEC teams.

Mario not only has to keep on keeping on with HS recruits but also has to keep his eye on portal. Especially since there is a very good chance that a number of Oregon's quality recruits will enter the portal. 

It is not enough to recruit today. A program has to re-recruit while keeping a sharp eye on the portal.

Could Oregon use ISM now? Heck yes.

And if Brown continues to start and struggle there is little doubt IMO that a few Ducks highly touted recruits from the QB room and also the WR room will be headed elsewhere.

The difficult task of recruiting has now been raped up by CFB 'free agency' and the ability to add 7 recruits from the portal.

Can you give any information about the change of the rule?  (And great comments for us to chew on--thanks.)

Mr. FishDuck

The true reason behind this decision is 2020 not counting against a year of being eligible. It is intended to protect teams that had a large number of guys transfer out. Teams will be able to sign more than 25 newbies in 2022.

It gives teams with depleted rosters the chance to make up for players who have left. It allows teams without depleted rosters to go over the 85 scholarship limit.

Of course, it likely means that Bama will sign the 7 best guys available in the transfer portal?

After the Supreme Court stiff arm, the NCAA is not able to govern NIL and roster size.

Come the NCAA summit in November, I expect the P5 conferences will be setting their own rules and regulations.

I see changes coming to roster size, APR requirements and much more.

I see CFB turning more and more into NFL Lite and the day coming when we may see a Super Conference of 32 to 40 something teams playing at highest level? OK and UT to the SEC is a step in this direction.

Conversely, The Alliance may lead to a split between the 'academically oriented' P5 conferences and the SEC, B12?

I am touting my own idea but I'd love to see the Pac-12, B1G, ACC and Notre Dame with their own Run For The Roses Championship? Bag the playoff. Let the SEC figure out its own post season scenario.

The ACC is locked into ESPN until 2036. But there is nothing that would prevent the Run For The Roses Championship having CBS, NBC, TNT and FOX bidding for broadcast rights.

IMO. it would be hard for the SEC or any other entity to frame an antitrust scenario against The Run For The Roses when 130 teams are supposedly eligible for the final 4 and the The Run For The Roses would involve less than 50% of the 130?

Jon....that is a really good idea. It would mess things up, but we could have our own party...

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Thanks Charles. 

Why not a Run For The Roses? 

Why continue to participate in a so-called playoff system that has greatly benefitted one conference over the rest? 

It's not just the final 4 teams making bank, it's the NY6 Bowl teams in total. The SEC always has more teams in the NY6 than any other conference.

Larry should have gone ballistic when 3L LSU played in the Fiesta Bowl instead of 2L WA ST; we didn't hear a peep out of Larry. That's $4M that went to the SEC and not the Pac-12.

On 10/6/2021 at 8:07 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Why not a Run For The Roses? 

I didn't say no...as I like it!

Mr. FishDuck