Legion

Diminishing Returns: USC Defense

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Live COLLEGEFOOTBALL scores at CBSSports.com. Check out the COLLEGEFOOTBALL scoreboard, box scores and game...

If you look at the final score, USC smashed San Jose St., nearly covering the 30 point spread. However, if you take a glance at the box score, you'll see there is some cause for concern at USC. San Jose St. (4th in Mountain West averaging 368 yard last season) had nearly 400 yards in offense, with just about 200 coming through the air and on the ground. Is this the daunted defense that is going to take the PAC?

Last nights defensive performance was not results SC had hoped for despite their "touted transfers". For me, Utah is still the team to beat, but we will get to see what they can do with Florida this Thursday. I hope the Ducks can figure out how to get off the field on 3rd down this year, if they can this might be a special year. With all the elite quarterbacks, it won't be the offensive that decides the conference, it will be the defenses. 

Lastly, I did see two things that concerned me as a Duck fan, having to play SC. First, SC young receiver Branch; electric after the catch and on special teams, which haven't been a strong point for the Ducks the past few years. Secondly, Kingsbury has joined Riley's staff. Two great offensive minds on one sideline. 

On 8/27/2023 at 2:28 PM, Legion said:

nearly covering the 30 point spread

With a TD on a fumble where DBs got caught looking in the backfield (which I can't blame them) and KO return.

How many TOs did sc force, a lot less than last year's average.

SC defense is similar to last years Ducks.

They just seem a bit slow on the line and backers. 

We will find out against TT how much our d has improved and what speed we have on the D side of the ball.

TT will be very quick on both sides.

Should be a fun game, if we win....but what if we lose?

On 8/27/2023 at 3:54 PM, Duckhart said:

SC defense is similar to last years Ducks.

One can only hope.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2