Mic

Time to see Thompson

That's enough. Oregon has the lead (and then some) over the out-gunned Vikings.  The game is out of reach for them.  It's time to see what Ty Thompson can do.  As a fan I want to see him play the entire 2nd Half to see if he can get into the flow of the game, run the offense and make plays.  Time to put up or find out why.  Just my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 3

Ok.  Well,Ty didn't get to play the whole half, I think they brought Nix out to get him one more TD passing (which he got) for his Heisman run, and then Thompson got his shot.  This was easily the best effort we've seen from him since he arrived on campus.  Then he got nicked somehow and the freshman Novasad took over til the end of the game.  But I think we can say Ty looked much better than he's looked in previous efforts.  Of course, this was a severely out-matched PSU but ...

Best thing about this entire game was there seemed to be no serious injuries and virtually no penalties.  Wow. I don't know if I've ever seen that in an Oregon game before.  What, one 5 yarder?

I'll give Ty Thompson a B+ effort, maybe even an A-.  And that easily eclipses anything I've seen from him before this.  So glad to see that because next year (barring a transfer or something) he's the guy.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, I am grateful those of you that have the Pac 12 network for sharing the highlights of this game. I tried to follow it on ESPN gamecast, but after the half that stopped working. I’m glad to hear that TT had a good showing, it was always my impression that he was not getting the coaching and developement that he needed. 

It is no wonder that the Pac 12 is so to be defunct, as last week there were only 7 games one of them had the #6 rated team in the nation and a paultry 13 million households were able to watch on the Pac 12 network. This week Our Beloved Ducks were relegated to the Pac 12 Network. Pity. 

I am a little more comfortable with TT than I was. He looked good and was aggressive.  But it was PSU. Hope he has turned the corner

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/2/2023 at 6:42 PM, Log Haulin said:

I am a little more comfortable with TT than I was. He looked good and was aggressive.  But it was PSU. Hope he has turned the corner

Me too. Much more so now.  And on those few runs he made he looked fast and tough. It finally looks like Oregon has a good backup for Nix finally.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/2/2023 at 7:26 PM, Mic said:

Me too. Much more so now.  And on those few runs he made he looked fast and tough. It finally looks like Oregon has a good backup for Nix finally.

If Oregon blows out Texas Tech by halftime or 3rd quarter then TT could get some run against actual FBS players.  If he performs about the same against them as he did against PSU then I'd feel better.

On 9/2/2023 at 7:29 PM, kirklandduck said:

If Oregon blows out Texas Tech by halftime or 3rd quarter then TT could get some run against actual FBS players.  If he performs about the same against them as he did against PSU then I'd feel better.

If he does get the chance, and he doesn't perform as well then I would say it might be in his own head.  The young man has the physicality and the talent and the training to do well.  I want to see why he was honored with 5 stars.

On 9/2/2023 at 7:38 PM, Mic said:

If he does get the chance, and he doesn't perform as well then I would say it might be in his own head.  The young man has the physicality and the talent and the training to do well.  I want to see why he was honored with 5 stars.

Absolutely could be a psychological thing, Camden Lewis had a similar issue his freshman year.  

For the life of me I can't find it but I remember reading an article that interviewed a college football scout commenting about Ty Thompson when he was being recruited.  The scout said the 5* rating was primarily because TT had fantastic physical tools but was technically very raw, so he was more of a project than a polished player.  Essentially he was railroading the high school level because he was just that physically superior but to succeed at the college level he needed a ton of development.  Perhaps after 3 years TT is finally showing the potential that scout was seeing back then.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thompson was a beast and pretty much the star at the Manning QB camp a year or so back, He has the ability for sure. Confidence looks up this year.

On 9/2/2023 at 10:17 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Thompson was a beast and pretty much the star at the Manning QB camp a year or so back, He has the ability for sure. Confidence looks up this year.

He's technically a 'Sophomore' but he's been here on campus for three years, meaning he's approaching 21 yrs old at least. With age should come confidence.  Next year he'll be 2-4 years older than many of his competitors.  Nix will be gone, Novasad will still be getting his feet under him and that means the job at QB is his for the taking.  I sure hope he has his head on straight and is ready to go.  He looked it today - but that was an FCS team.  

I thought that his runs really helped his confidence. He needed to be hit. Sometimes getting hit as a QB knocks the fear right out of you and puts the confidence in. The QBs are wearing "don't hit me" red jerseys all the time. The only people that are allowed to hit them are on the opposing teams. Months of practice go by without having to absorb a hit.

Great job Ty!

On 9/3/2023 at 12:55 AM, Jon Sousa said:

I thought that his runs really helped his confidence. He needed to be hit. Sometimes getting hit as a QB knocks the fear right out of you and puts the confidence in.

That's a good point and his first hit was a good one by the defender.  

I was wondering how he would respond and if you go back and look at it again (if you were able to record it) you'll see Ty made it a point to bounce right back up and (almost) looked jubilant about it.  He was, of course, happy about the yards gained, not the hit, but it was a confidence builder from what I could see.  I wish he could have played the entire half after coming in.

• Thumbs Up 1