Jon Joseph

2024 - I'm So Excited I Just Can't Hide It and I'm Ready to Shout and Jump Around!

4 score minus 4- years I arrived in this mortal coil. (Sorry, Abe.) Born in Toledo, Ohio in the same hospital where Urban Meyer and Jim Harbough later arrived. This is my football claim to fame other than making 2nd team All-New England back before the WW Web in 1966, where I was listed in The Boston Globe as 'Don' Joseph. (Don Juan, although not fitting, would have been OK.) Fame is fleeting.   

With the last roundup on the horizon, I am focused on 2023, with good reason, and not looking ahead.

But the latest Week 1 AP Poll has me fired up!

2024 - New SEC - 8 teams ranked -

1. Georgia/ 3. Alabama/ 9. Tennessee/ 11. Texas/ 14. LSU/ 18. Oklahoma/ 20. Ole Miss/ 23. Texas A+M

Total ranking # - 99 Divided by 8 (thank goodness for calculators) = 12.37 average ranking.

2024 - New B1G - 7 teams ranked -

2. Michigan/ 5. Ohio State/ 6. USC/ 7. Penn State/ 8. Washington/ 13. Oregon/ 19. Wisconsin

Total ranking # - 60 Divided by 7 = 8.57

Go Ducks! Beat TT!

But playing it forward, there is no doubt that the 2024 B1G newbies (add on #27, UCLA to arrive at 8 future ranked B1G teams and you have 87 Divided by 8 = average ranking 10.87) will have an impact in the B1G (18.). An immediate impact.

Carried forward it will be a new rankings day and the 2023 Week 1 rankings certainly do not ensure that the 2024 B1G will begin winning Playoff titles. But there is no doubt the 4 Pac-12 newbies will invigorate the B1G and the idea that any of the four will struggle to find the same success the teams found in the Pac-12 in the B1G is senseless. 

Puddles, how about flocking East with a Final 4 appearance in hand? Nested in the first Final 4, why not the final Final 4? 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Like 1

We can call you Don Juan if you like... every team needs 'juan'.

But your math here is hurting my poor head.  What you're saying is by adding to itself, the Big Whatever now rivals (if not exceeds) the SEC. I can think of no other reason why they would have invited the 4 Pac-12 teams - unless it was to get the Bay Area & Nike's money market in their sock before the Big 12 or someone else tried to do so.  I don't share your optimism but I certainly hope you're right about it.  Go Ducks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Jon, just keep that defibrillator handy...hopefully it will not be a close game.  Oregon 66-24

• Haha 1

On 9/7/2023 at 7:20 PM, Mic said:

We can call you Don Juan if you like... every team needs 'juan'.

But your math here is hurting my poor head.  What you're saying is by adding to itself, the Big Whatever now rivals (if not exceeds) the SEC. I can think of no other reason why they would have invited the 4 Pac-12 teams - unless it was to get the Bay Area & Nike's money market in their sock before the Big 12 or someone else tried to do so.  I don't share your optimism but I certainly hope you're right about it.  Go Ducks.

Love the comment. But the B1G and the Bay Area? I believe the B1G/Fox passed. Not Fox when it comes to the NFL.

You can call me Don, or you can call me Juan, as long as the Ducks win, it's all good.

As to any kind of math, I feel your pain.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1