Krsmqn

Oregon vs Hawaii: All Time Record

After reading Mic's post on the news thread, I thought I'd make a thread to reply, and also discuss the history of these matchups. 

Starting with the quote from Mic:

"I'll fess up: I had to do a double-take when I saw the stat that Hawaii had beaten Oregon in the last three matchups between the two schools - and that by the amazing margin of 101-54 favoring the Rainbow Warriors.  I definitely remember them beating O in the Rose Bowl year, but Hawaii has had an amazing record of success against the Ducks.

Here's to Oregon making a sizable dent in that 101-54 margin, if not outright wiping it out!  GO DUCKS"

Like Mic, I too was shocked. For some reason, my mind was trying to tell me that the Ducks had played them in recent times. Furthermore, that we had owned them. 

Why? ... 

I looked up the history between these two teams here on Go Ducks, and found that they last played in '94... Holy moly... Am I that old? Seems like it was just a few years ago. 

Well, looking at the history of these two teams, it's good to know that we lead 4-3, and have the largest margin of victory (47-0 Woot!), albeit in 1921. Oddly enough that year, we also played "Pearl Harbor".

Well, I guess time has a way of blending itself in memory. Or maybe I just have... What's it called?.. 

😜 

Looking forward to 5-3. Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 2

I was at the butt-kicking in Hawaii in 1988, as I planned the trip way ahead of the season and when Musgrave went down....so did the team.  We were 6-1 until he got a collarbone injury, and then we lost every game to finish 6-6, and it was painful.

• Oh no! 1
  • Wow 1

Mr. FishDuck

I don't feel so old now. I was 11. But you can be sure I was gathered around a TV with my family watching that game. Just don't remember the details. That's what's so weird about what I was saying before. I'm obviously wrong, and looking back I remember now that we hadn't played them this century, but for some reason my brain was convinced we had. False Memory Syndrome, I guess.  

Oregon vs. Pearl Harbor. A game that will live in infamy!

In 1941, the Willamette University Bearcats, champions of the Northwest Conference were in Pearl Harbor, scheduled to play San Jose State and Hawaii, and on the way to sightsee and visit the naval base. These plans were changed.

Photos that one of the Bearcats players took of the attack are on view at WU. 

• Wow 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/11/2023 at 6:48 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Oregon vs. Pearl Harbor. A game that will live in infamy!

In 1941, the Willamette University Bearcats, champions of the Northwest Conference were in Pearl Harbor, scheduled to play San Jose State and Hawaii, and on the way to sightsee and visit the naval base. These plans were changed.

Photos that one of the Bearcats players took of the attack are on view at WU. 

KPNW radio aired an interview with one of the players on that team a few years back and it was one for the ages.  Occasionally, they'll replay it usually around the anniversary of the attack.  Many of the players enlisted in the military immediately after and served during the war. A few even came back to the University to finish their education afterwards.  

It's a reminder to us that some things are bigger than even collegiate football.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hmm... For whatever reason, the link in my op just redirects to this page. Weird.

Should take you here:

https://goducks.com/sports/football/opponent-history/university-of-hawaii/192

• Thumbs Up 1