David Marsh

Tomorrow There Will Be 7 Games On The Pac-12 Network

So tomorrow there will be SEVEN games on the pac-12 network. I don't remember the last time there have been so many games on the Larry's loser network in one day. 

Many of these games will only be on their regional networks. Thankfully the Oregon game is going to be on the main channel (and the Oregon channel) while Stanford will be relegated to the Bay Area only channel. 

So there will be a lot of people (even people with the network) who won't be able to see at least half of these seven games tomorrow. 

Talk about awful...thankfully we won't have to deal with this next year. 

• Oh no! 1
  • Yikes! 1
  • Applause 1

Every team HAS to play on the Pac-12 at least twice.  USC has had two of their 3 on Pac12N.   That is not an accident.  The primary media partners are holding their picks for higher profile games later in the season.

In USC's case, they didn't want to "waste a pick" in an early game despite having the returning Heisman winner.

Likewise, given the number of Pac12 teams currently ranked which could still be ranked later in face-to-face matchups, the partners are holding their picks for later games.  That forces Pac12N games now.

Pac12 teams are not limited to 2, but each must have 2.

UA, USC and UO will each have had 2 after tomorrow.   8 other teams will have had 1. 

Who hasn't?  Colorado.  And, they will be on ABC for Oregon meaning 0 for 4 on the Pac12.    They have 2 other games already picked.

That means Colorado will have to take 2 games from among USC, ASU, UCLA, Oregon St, Arizona and Utah.  Some fans are going to squeal, but that's the rule.

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2023 at 10:25 PM, HDuck said:

Every team HAS to play on the Pac-12 at least twice.  USC has had two of their 3 on Pac12N.   That is not an accident.  The primary media partners are holding their picks for higher profile games later in the season.

In USC's case, they didn't want to "waste a pick" in an early game despite having the returning Heisman winner.

Likewise, given the number of Pac12 teams currently ranked which could still be ranked later in face-to-face matchups, the partners are holding their picks for later games.  That forces Pac12N games now.

Pac12 teams are not limited to 2, but each must have 2.

UA, USC and UO will each have had 2 after tomorrow.   8 other teams will have had 1. 

Who hasn't?  Colorado.  And, they will be on ABC for Oregon meaning 0 for 4 on the Pac12.    They have 2 other games already picked.

That means Colorado will have to take 2 games from among USC, ASU, UCLA, Oregon St, Arizona and Utah.  Some fans are going to squeal, but that's the rule.

I wasn't aware that was the rule... I just know that in the past when I have paid for the network and Oregon only being on it for the first couple of games was frustrating only because I was still paying for it.

Now... I use a VPN to connect to Canada and watch the games on Pac-12 International for free on youtube.

I just don't remember seeing this many games slated for the network for one weekend before. A couple of teams are being thrown onto their local Pac-12 network channel which just seems absolutely crazy.

• Applause 1

Light, meet bushel. 

Wilner provides a good synopsis of the selection process here...apparently the rule is Pac12N appearances must equal the number of non-conference home games.  Most years that is two, and the rule creates the number, not which games fill that number.

SPORTS360AZ.COM

Story by Jon Wilner A few minutes past 10 a.m. on Monday, the Pac-12 released the start times and TV assignments for games on Sept. 25, the fourth week of the season and the first full Saturday...