Solar

In Game Play Actually Matters to Coach Lanning!

One thing that drove me nuts about Cristobal was his religious dedication to the notion that how you practice is how you play in the game.

This resulted in ballers, people with clutch, people with an extra gear in the game riding the bench.

Brady Breeze and Deadwood Davis are two examples of individuals that made magic happen when they were around the ball, then immediately disappear to the sideline remaining buried on depth charts.

I've always thought that how players do in practice is a starting point, and when the player goes in the game and tells you who they really are YOU DON'T IGNORE THEM.

Lanning on the other hand, appears to listen. For all the projections about what the depth chart would be, they've been irrelevant.

Playing time in the spring game and scrimmages, and in the preseason games has been fluid and demonstrated that Lanning is adjusting to the actual production, help and hurt players are providing on the field of play.

Lanning plays the ballers.

Another example is his recent statement about penalties, that if you are going to rack up penalties and hurt the team, you won't play. It doesn't matter how good you practice. If you keep giving the other team's offense a first down on a blown up 3rd down, or you keep putting our offense a mile behind the sticks, then you won't play.

I find Lanning approach to player evaluation very refreshing.

Edited by Solar
  • Go Ducks! 3
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 9/20/2023 at 11:48 AM, Solar said:

One thing that drove me nuts about Cristobal was his religious dedication to the notion that how you practice is how you play in the game.

This resulted in ballers, people with clutch, people with an extra gear in the game riding the bench.

Brady Breeze and Deadwood Davis are two examples of individuals that made magic happen when they were around the ball, then immediately disappear to the sideline remaining buried on depth charts.

I've always thought that how players do in practice is a starting point, and when the player goes in the game and tells you who they really are YOU DON'T IGNORE THEM.

Lanning on the other hand, appears to listen. For all the projections about what the depth chart would be, they've been irrelevant.

Playing time in the spring game and scrimmages, and in the preseason games has been fluid and demonstrated that Lanning is adjusting to the actual production, help and hurt players are providing on the field of play.

Lanning plays the ballers.

Another example is his recent statement about penalties, that if you are going to rack up penalties and hurt the team, you won't play. It doesn't matter how good you practice. If you keep giving the other team's offense a first down on a blown up 3rd down, or you keep putting our offense a mile behind the sticks, then you won't play.

I find Lanning approach to player evaluation very refreshing.

Excellent points. I'll take a gamer over a great practice player every time.

We talking about practice? Practice?…. Sorry someone was going to say it so thought I would dive in. 

• Haha 1

The other thing that drove me nuts about Mario was his thing of only playing the Jrs and Srs even if they were not the best players.

I like Dan's 'if you're good enough, you're old enough' mantra.

On 9/20/2023 at 11:48 AM, Solar said:

Brady Breeze and Deadwood Davis are two examples

😉  I believe you meant to type Daewood Davis.  Good ol spell check (of course, when on the bench, maybe he was deadwood).

About your point, I don't know if that was Cristobal's 'MO' so-to-speak, sitting good players because he thought they had a bad practice, but if it was it was a silly one.  If he does it in Miami it's be just as wrong then, too.

Edited by Mic

On 9/20/2023 at 2:00 PM, Mic said:

😉  I believe you meant to type Daewood Davis.  Good ol spell check (of course, when on the bench, maybe he was deadwood).

About your point, I don't know if that was Cristobal's 'MO' so-to-speak, sitting good players because he thought they had a bad practice, but if it was it was a silly one.  If he does it in Miami it's be just as wrong then, too.

Thanks for catching that, spell checker sniped me there.

It wasn't about any particular practice, it was the sum of everything that consistently occurred in practice that we never saw. Perhaps the amount of effort, perhaps perceived willingness to bash in your brains for practice glory, perhaps just not performing error free in a low care setting, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1