GatOrlando

Greatest Stanford vs Oregon Game in Your Lifetime

I know Stanford hasn't been the greatest football program the last few years. But I do remember when I first moved out to Arizona in 2012 that Oregon, and Stanford were two of the strongest programs in the PAC 12. It was one of the few games that the Nation tuned into to watch two left coast squads. Jim Harbaugh, and Chip Kelly both had departed to the NFL. But Caldwell, and Helfrich maintained the standard for a few years.

Being that Stanford is going to the ACC, and Oregon to the B1G. This may be the last game for a while? I recall the 2013 and '14 matchups. What is your favorite memory? Are you gonna miss playing those creepy Trees?

From a spectical stand point... 2015. Vernon Adams was just on fire! Stanford was gearing up for a playoff run and Oregon just squishes it. It felt very 2012 revenge. 

Everything on the line for the last play of the game where Stanford needs to convert for 2 points and Oregon gets it done. 

2009 and 2010 were also brilliant. 

• Thumbs Up 1

https://youtu.be/PB7r5-qOvvI?si=XMenfyltKr5-ovBr

That 2007 upset of USC by Stanford signaled Stanford was not a joke. But hearing the announcer saying that the Pac 10 was the best conference prior to the 2009 game. He wasn't far off, but it feels weird hearing it. Pac10 sounds weird. If we only knew what would be 14 years later.

Edited by GatOrlando

Most fun -- 2011 @ Stanford. We were 8-1 going in and we scored at will on the Tree. Final score was 53-30... but it was nowhere near that close as they got some late cheap scores after we went deep into our roster. The weather that day was sunny and warm and the outcome @ Stanford was wonderful. 

Worst one for me was @ Stanford 2013. Ducks were 8-0 and putting up insane offensive numbers with Marcus leading the way. Stanford was 7-1.

We ended up buying seats rather last minute and ended up on the 40 yard line, obviously in the Stanford section. 

The night before the game my phone started lighting up from fellow Duck friends with fairly solid rumors that Marcus was injured -- which turned out to be accurate. 

Usually Stanford fans are pretty chill, but we ended up sitting right in front of two of the most obnoxious guys I've ever been around during a football game.

We lost 20-26 in possibly the most miserable game I had ever been to. In fact, after regularly attending most away games, we did not attend another away game for several years after that.

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/27/2023 at 7:05 PM, David Marsh said:

From a spectical stand point... 2015. Vernon Adams was just on fire! Stanford was gearing up for a playoff run and Oregon just squishes it. It felt very 2012 revenge. 

That was a great game. Stanford went onto a 12-2 season and it was so sweet to serve them up with one of those losses.

And I must say that Stanford represented the PAC 12 well in the Rose Bowl as they smacked Iowa all over the place.

One has to wonder the formula for Stanford football to succeed. Harbaugh gave them the formula, Caldwell maintained for a while. Is it lack of investment? Fan interaction? I know Trojan, Husky, Duck, Beaver, Cougar, Wildcat fans can be rowdy. 

If Stanford just didn't care at all, I think they would just go independent. Forget about playing in the ACC.  They have the endowment big enough to fund some countries. I just don't get what their aim is. Or that creepy tree.