Solar

B1G Scheduling Approach Throws a Bone to USC.

It's well publicized that USC did NOT want the Ducks tagging along with them to the B1G.

The reason was simple and 2-fold:

1. Stop us from stealing their recruits.

2. Stop them from losing to us when we play.

You may see where I'm going with this...

It makes way too much sense for the 4 legacy PAC schools to keep playing each other every year as protected matchups due to history and travel distances. I don't buy the reason the league boss gave of more thoroughly integrating us.

I think by only having us play in socal 4 times every 5 years it hurts our ability to recruit there and minimizes the number of opportunities for us to beat USC. After B1G told USC that Oregon wouldn't follow them just to end up doing that months later, it only makes sense that this B1G scheduling is their way to throw USC a bone.

And by the time 2026 rolls around there will be more changes, the schedule will be redone again and perhaps then everyone will wise up that the 4 West Coast teams should play each other every year.

What do you think?

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I totally agree that it’s senseless not to have the 4 West Coast teams play every year.

It makes no sense logistically, financially, or historically.

And it makes even less sense that we play Rutgers and Maryland as frequently as the LA schools.

Sure, it might have been more complex to schedule, but that’s what computers are for.

• Thumbs Up 2

It makes sense only from a game rotation to ensure that the conference has everyone playing everyone in a reasonable time frame. 

But there were also a lot more rivalries protected than the west coast ones. The west coast got 1.5 protected rivalries... we play our primary every year and then alternate with the LA schools. 

It does feel like they are protecting USC a bit. From a recruiting standpoint I think the B1G move may hurt USC more than having to deal with Oregon. It kinda opens even more of so cal up to B1G looting but probably not substantially. 

Oregon is going to be camped in USCs backyard for years to come regardless.

It is perception.  By giving UO, UW, USC and UCLA 3 rivalry game, looks really bad to the "original" B1G TEN teams.  You aren't going to give the new guys preferential treatment.

Also, Oregon has become a national recruiter and with a ton more games in the Midwest, I say the Ducks actually gain in recruiting.