Charles Fischer

The Athletic: 'Oregon Wins Outright, and Maybe Comfortably'

Whoa.  Their experts give us their thoughts below, and they give hope to those who have worries...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oregon at Washington (-3)

Ubben: I was looking into some of the numbers this week and they confirm a lot of what I have seen in just watching these two teams. And that’s Oregon is a much more complete team. And I know Washington is a lot of fun to watch. I have a lot of respect for Washington, but this is a team that doesn’t really try to run the ball, doesn’t particularly care to run the ball.

When you don’t run the ball or have any desire to run the ball, these are the kind of games where it kind of catches up to you. And this Oregon team right now is third nationally in defensive yards per play. You can talk about the schedule all you want, but at the end of the day, that’s really impressive. And they’re No. 1 nationally in yards per carry. Oh, and they have a Heisman candidate at quarterback in Bo Nix.

I think Oregon wins this game outright. But, Ari, we’ll get right into it off the top, my lock of the week is the under in this ballgame. Under 67.5.

Husky QB Sack_John Sperry 2015.jpg

Wasserman: What?! That’s my lock of the week. Are you serious?

Ubben: Yes. Games like these are rarely track meets and both these teams have better defenses than people realize. And I checked it, I believe over 90 percent of the money is on the over and that line hasn’t moved.

Wasserman: I didn’t even see that you did that. We’re not usually like that. There’s so many things that you could pick. The fact that we’re both on it is kind of scary. I don’t want people to be on that.

Dochterman: I think Oregon’s defense is built to stop a lot of the drives from Washington, and they’re really going to turn them one dimensional. This is where Michael Penix is going to have to show that he’s better than where he’s been in the past in these types of situations against these types of opponents. I think the Ducks are a better team. Now, the game is in Washington. The Huskies will be fired up for it, but I think they can be taken out pretty quickly by what will be a very efficient Oregon offense.

Thib almostDSC_0793 (002).jpg

Wasserman: I look at this pretty simply. Part of the reason why I’m on the under is Oregon’s defense is very underrated nationally. They are fifth in the country in total defense in yards per game. And if you go look at Washington’s defense, they’re somewhere in the 60s.

I see two very good teams who are probably going to play a very close game and what does that usually come down to? Which team gets more stops?

I just think that Oregon, like you said Dave, and I hate to agree with you, it’s weird to agree with you so early on in the show, but I think Oregon’s going to win this game outright and and maybe comfortably.

Washington Fan_Video_FP.jpg

• Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Oregon vs. Washington: Money in favor of Ducks win vs. Huskies on Saturday

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon vs. Washington: Money in favor of Ducks win vs. Huskies on Saturday

Whew- hope these folks are right. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The reason I'm pretty confident in this one is that Oregon's defense has been playing well recently and UW hasn't stopped anyone all year. 

UW gets some turn overs, but if Oregon takes care of the ball (with the most experienced QB in college football, a likelihood) UW doesn't stop UO's offense all game long. 

On the other side, UO stops UW often enough to make this a 2 or 3 score win. Both offenses are really good, but only one defense is. That defense is Oregon's.

Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

As I've said for the last two weeks, on paper, the Ducks win this game. These guys are spot on. 

However, as they've also pointed out, the one massive variable is the Husky crowd. The Ducks seemed to have gotten a bit rattled by the crowd at TT,

But if we've grown past that, by 4 PM this afternoon, the Ducks will be on top of the PAC 12 and have a direct line opportunity to the CFP.