Pennsylvania Duck

Lanning on Avoiding Injuries: 'I Think What We Do In Sports Science Is Really Special'

Through eight games of the regular season, the Ducks have remained a relatively healthy group, something head coach Dan Lanning credits to his strength and medical staff.

Certainly, luck plays a factor in injuries as well. But as head coach Dan Lanning described on Monday night, the Ducks' strength and medical staff are doing all they can to remove as much luck from the equation as possible.

"They do a phenomenal job. Chief (Kevin Steil) and his staff, we have a meeting every single day to give an update of where we're at," said Lanning.

"I think what we do in sports science here is really special. You know, I think we're able to prevent a lot of injuries because before we get to an injury, we realize that a player's player loads high or his hamstring strength isn't where it needs to be, and we're able to pull off of them.

Modify practice to make sure that they're able to see the field where I think a lot of places in the country don't necessarily have that technology or the ability to use that.

"I think our strength coach is unbelievable. Coach (Wilson) Love and his staff do a phenomenal job of connecting with our players and making sure they get the needs that they need to be able to go out there and execute.

A couple of things that we've changed on game day we do a primer lift, you know, with our players.

We didn't do that in the past, and that's been something that's really good for us to activate their body, get them ready for battle, and they've done a good job of that."

This is an interesting article about how Oregon's strength and medical staff are working to keep our players healthy...

247SPORTS.COM

Through eight games of the regular season, the Ducks have remained a relatively healthy group, something head coach Dan...

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Oh boy, here we go, definitely holding my breath now.

• Haha 1

I'm thinking that a lot more credit needs to be given these coaches then we here at OBD have done so far this season.

I can't remember a season when 8 games in we were relatively the same starters and so few injuries. 

I've also noticed we seem to be tackling better, and defenders seem to react quicker to plays. I'm thinking that shows improved strength and quickness. 

The player rotation probably helps too.

Not only are we getting blue-chip players, but it seems they being developed physically to bring their best.

I hope these coaches stay at Oregon for a long while. 

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1