Pennsylvania Duck

NEW: Four Football Coaches On Their Second Round of Interviews With MSU

By all indications, the Michigan State football head coaching search is entering into its final stretch as the Spartans look to find a new leader for their football program.

Spartans Illustrated has learned that at least four candidates have progressed to second round interviews with Michigan State. These interviews have been virtual.

Rivals’ national recruiting analyst Clint Cosgrove has confirmed with sources that MSU has interviewed at least these four coaches for its football head coaching position.

All four coaches are in their mid-40s and have years of experience running FBS football programs to varying degrees

of success.

As we mentioned in our previous article, it is important to be clear that these are not necessarily the final four candidates -- or even the top four candidates -- being considered by Michigan State...

MICHIGANSTATE.RIVALS.COM

The Michigan State football head coaching search is entering into its final stretch.

Jess Fisch is going to be a steal for whoever gets him. Seriously, if we didn't have Lanning I'd want Fisch. 

Smith is good too... But we'll see if he wants to leave OSU. I think OSU does everything they possibly can do to keep him, and that includes basically breaking the bank because they'll need some success in the next few years to leverage the Beaver's position in the next round of realignment. 

On 11/19/2023 at 11:53 AM, David Marsh said:

Jess Fisch is going to be a steal for whoever gets him. Seriously, if we didn't have Lanning I'd want Fisch. 

Smith is good too... But we'll see if he wants to leave OSU. I think OSU does everything they possibly can do to keep him, and that includes basically breaking the bank because they'll need some success in the next few years to leverage the Beaver's position in the next round of realignment. 

In the article, the reason they give for Fisch being a good candidate is precisely why he wouldn't want the job: he has already lived in Michigan and coached in the big 10. Much better to renegotiate his current salary, be a perennial contender in the Big 12, and enjoy the Tucson, AZ lifestyle.

And he's just spent 3 years pulling a team out of the dumpster. Does he really want to start over? At some point the extra millions have diminishing returns.

Edited by Solar

On 11/19/2023 at 6:02 PM, Solar said:

In the article, the reason they give for Fisch being a good candidate is precisely why he wouldn't want the job: he has already lived in Michigan and coached in the big 10. Much better to renegotiate his current salary, be a perennial contender in the Big 12, and enjoy the Tucson, AZ lifestyle.

And he's just spent 3 years pulling a team out of the dumpster. Does he really want to start over? At some point the extra millions have diminishing returns.

And if Zona holds onto him they get a steal. 

Fantastic coach who I don't think gets enough recognition because it's Zona and they haven't had a breakthrough season yet. Well... This is probably the break through season. I think the Big 12 is in for a unhappy surpeise the next few years. 

Utah, Arizona and ASU are all going to terrorize the Big 12. Colorado is a maybe... But the other three are going to be competing for the championship real quick. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I feel like the Arizona job and the Michigan St. job are pretty similar, I don't think it's much of a step up, probably depends on how much he like Michigan compared to Arizona, plus of course does Zona come up with a good offer for a raise.

I really can't see Johnathan Smith wanting to leave OSU, his alma mater, esp. given the way he's been able to resurrect the program, get anew stadium, etc.  However, with the demise of the Pac-12... and the lure of a lot more $$... and a chance to be a thorn in Oregon's side once again... the temptation might be too much. 

Wouldn't that be rich?

• Like 1

I don't see how Johnathan Smith can stay in Corvallis.  I doubt Beavs can afford him long term if they wiff on the next realignment. 

Should Beavs and cougs win in court and usurp a buttload of cash, they buy a few years grace to try and get into the B12.

If they fail Beavus will never be relevant in major college football. Recruiting will drop and they will lose  coaches.  Mic will be buying first round at that point 😉

• Oh no! 1

On 11/20/2023 at 6:10 AM, Log Haulin said:

I don't see how Johnathan Smith can stay in Corvallis.  I doubt Beavs can afford him long term if they wiff on the next realignment. 

Should Beavs and cougs win in court and usurp a buttload of cash, they buy a few years grace to try and get into the B12.

If they fail Beavus will never be relevant in major college football. Recruiting will drop and they will lose  coaches.  Mic will be buying first round at that point 😉

I don't understand any of this court case stuff, or what OSU & WSU think they're going to accomplish (other than win themselves a lot of $) but when it comes to millions of $ anything can and usually does happen.  In that case all bets are off.  

Except, of course, our gentleman's bet since that's revenue neutral  That bet still stands.  We may need a neutral 'judge' to decide the winner.

• Thumbs Up 1

Jedd Fisch may not be interested in the Michigan State job but with the financial issues at Arizona a raise may not be possible. A pretty good reason to look for a new employer.

WWW.OUTKICK.COM

The Arizona Wildcats are in serious financial trouble thanks to a financial modeling 'mistake,' meaning they may have to cut teams.

JC claims in this mailbag column today that Smith is not interviewing for the MSU job.   Basically says that is not Smith's MO and the AD is keeping him (Smith) apprised of all activity related to the 2024 football schedule.

Herewith JC's response to this 'mailbag' question:

Q: Rumors of Jonathan Smith having a second interview with Michigan State. What? How does all go by so secretly... where are the flies on the wall? Help me here I'm spiraling out of control. Does OSU have the money to offer Smith a raise to keep him or is the writing on the wall? — @RDammeyer

A: The stoics will tell you that your worry is a waste. As Epictetus said: “There is only one way to happiness and that is to cease worrying about things which are beyond the power of our will.”

I am told by multiple sources that Oregon State has been engaged daily with Smith and believes he’s on board with the plan for 2024. Remember, OSU extended his contract last December and may do so again in the coming days. Given the pace of the season right now and his focus, I’m skeptical that serious interviews have happened. Apologies to the message-board crowd at Michigan State, but it’s just not Smith’s style.

We will soon hear about OSU’s plan for the 2024 football season. Smith told me he thinks next season’s schedule is coming together nicely. The Beavers will fund the program as if its a “Power 5” operation and play a competitive schedule. If that happens as planned, they will be in the mix for a College Football Playoff berth. Is that enough to keep him in Corvallis? We’ll see.

Oregon State has 1-on-1 meetings planning with players after this Friday’s regular-season finale vs. Oregon. I expect those will take place Saturday and Sunday. I won’t be surprised if another contract extension announcement is part of the plan.

The Beavers may lose Smith eventually. If the USC or Washington jobs came open, I’d be shocked if one or both didn’t ask to interview him. The NFL may call for him someday, too. But I’m not sold that Smith would ditch his alma mater for anything that isn’t a no-brainer career move.