Mic

Broyles Award Finalist Among OSU Coaching Candidates

I'll have to admit I was a bit nervous when I saw this in the latest from John Canzano. It was just yesterday we learned OBD's Will Stein was named as a candidate for said award.  I don't pay for the Canzano articles so even though I can provide a link to it here, maybe one of you guys can help us out. 

Another interesting bit was the fact that there are two former HC's among the total of 7 coaches interviewing for the Beavers job.  I was wondering if the dumpster-fire of a situation there in Corvallis would attract any good candidates.  Apparently there are numerous coaches who are interested.

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Hire expected as soon as Wednesday, per source.

Edited by Mic

According to JC the candidates are:

• Trent Bray- current DC and former OS player
  • Brent Brennan- SJSU coach
  • Josh Gattis- was Mario's OC last year and was also at Michigan.  I believe Mario fired him after last year
  • Matt Wells- current offensive analyst at Oklahoma
  • Paul Chryst
  • Bronco Mendenhall- guess he is looking to get back into coaching after a couple of years away- also is a former OS player and former asst @ OS
  • Troy Calhoun- current coach at Air Force and has been an asst for a couple of NFL teams
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • Thanks 1

On 11/28/2023 at 11:08 AM, Augduck said:

Troy Calhoun- current coach at Air Force and has been an asst for a couple of NFL teams

Troy is an Oregonian having grown up in Roseburg. His high school coach Thurman Bell was a Beaver and definitely engraved Beaver traits in Troy.

I would be pleasantly surprised if Troy decided to move to Corvallis. He seems content in Colorado.

So, which coach was a former Broyles Award finalist, Mendenhall?

I have no insights into the process but the conventional wisdom seems to be that Bray will get the job.  He certainly at this point is not one of the coaches going with Smith so my assumption is the wheels were already in motion to elevate him.  

But they have to do due diligence I guess.

On 11/28/2023 at 11:17 AM, Mic said:

So, which coach was a former Broyles Award finalist, Mendenhall?

Gattis won in 2021 when he was at Michigan.

• Thanks 1

Troy Calhoun would definitely resurrect the Pettibone days with his offense. He can bring Ian Shields in from Minot State to run his offense.