Charles Fischer

Good News for OBD Members--A Relief!

My Duck-Buddies,

You may have noticed an issue with a video popping up in the lower right area of your computer for a few days, and if you left the forum page up in your browser--a video would start playing!  It would take me too long to find the damn thing and shut if off, and I did not want to do that every time and I certainly did not want the good people of this community to suffer through that nonsense.

It took me a couple of days, but I got it all turned off from the advertising platform company.  Oh, they told me how much more money the site could make with them, but again--I do operate by the Golden Rule, as I hate it when other sites do that to me.

My philosophy on this is similar to your personal information shared in your membership profile.  In 12 years of two sites--of thousands of readers, members and hundreds of writers and editors--I have never sold or shared that information with any marketing organization, and never will. I hate it when companies pass my data around, and I will not take part in that here.

The sites make enough from ads to pay the costs of the site, thus they are 'hobby' sites for me.  No amount of these other strategies are going to appreciably help my bottom line anyway.

A New Problem I Am Working On...

Over the last couple of days--when you come to the forum on a mobile phone--you would occasionally get a strange sight, as the form looked completely different.  (See below) This is a new problem, and I am working on it with the Advertising Platform again, as it is their issue as well.

And I just got the Spamming problem solved!  Sheesh.

Forum Problem.jpg

• Thanks 5
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

That looks like the stylesheet isn’t loading. It’s most likely performance-related.

Thanks again for all you do for the forum!!! 🙏

• Applause 1

PLEASE! Round up the Purina kitty cats! The ads for cat fodder completely cover my screen when they pop up, and they repeatedly pop up.

I guess someone has to pay for all of the great cat gifs? 

• Haha 1

I don't mind seeing ads on this site. My motivations are different here. I'll put up with a lot cause I like the content. The only thing I'd love to see is nested comments. Keep up the good work!

• Thanks 1