Thomallister1291

Why I Think Oregon's Future Football Schedules Won't be Filled With Cupcakes.

Most people here want our Ducks to stop scheduling teams like the ones belonging in the SEC or Big 12 after we join our new conference, with the entire-non conference schedule instead being filled with teams like our former Pac-12 foes and very, very local FCS and G5 teams.

I would definitely get the situation...if it was related to our non-conference basketball and baseball schedules.

For football, I do think Oregon could do just fine scheduling teams like Alabama and Clemson, even though Power 5 games against Utah or the Arizona schools wouldn't hurt either, the reason? Oregon's football schedule doesn't have to rely heavily on traveling despite our Big Ten move, because usually two of our non-conference games are played in Autzen Stadium, some seasons have even featured three non-conference home games, for other sports like basketball and baseball I do understand since they have more regular season games than football and hence more traveling issues.

And for those who think it would make our schedule even harder and more impossible to compete for a natty, just remember that the playoffs will be expanded to 12 teams, meaning it will be much easier for Oregon to compete there, so that's why I think Oregon can still schedule teams like Bama without being affected negatively, albeit my preference would be to schedule diverse P5 opponents, have an annual game against Oregon State and a Big Sky FCS team, so that way, everyone wins.

But if Rob Mullens wants to only schedule bad and weak teams, then I'll respect his decision.

• Thumbs Up 2

I  would only play sec powers at Autzen unless they gave Rob several million to visit them. Only way I would do a home and home with them is if they came here first. We will have plenty of tough road games every season without these kinds of risk. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

Sec teams have made a living out of playing teams like Chantanooga and mombootechbeachstate middle school for years without penalty.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In my opinion, Oregon must match the type of schedules that teams like Michigan, Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia and Texas are playing.

These are the teams we want to be compared with nationally.

Most of those team are scheduling 2-3 cupcakes every year and playing one tough non conference game.

B1G playing 2 cupcakes while SEC teams play 3 cupcakes due to their 8 game league schedule.

Now that we are in the B1G and playing Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State we can get a playoff spot without playing an SEC team in the non league.

We just need to be ranked high enough to be able to play the SEC in the playoffs.

For the next few years we need to keep our home and home games with Oklahoma State and Baylor and then play 2 easier games.

Before doing research, I thought we should get rid of the Big 12 games and replace them with cupcakes but Michigan and Ohio State are playing teams like Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama and Georgia in the near future.

It is probably too late to play that tough of an opponent in the next 4-5 years but we should not schedule 3 cupcakes.

By playing the Big12 teams and possibly Oregon State that could help offset the big non conference games that Michigan and Ohio State are playing.

It also helps that we get an opportunity to beat Michigan and Ohio State in league games or in a B1G championship game thus benefitting from them playing and beating a SEC team in non league.

Short term (2024-2028) there is probably not a lot that the Ducks can change with their schedules but I'm curious to see what teams we schedule for 2029 and beyond.

FBSCHEDULES.COM

View future college football schedules and opponents at FBSchedules.com. We have future schedules for all FBS and FCS teams.

On 12/5/2023 at 4:16 PM, JB89 said:

In my opinion, Oregon must match the type of schedules that teams like Michigan, Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia and Texas are playing.

These are the teams we want to be compared with nationally.

Most of those team are scheduling 2-3 cupcakes every year and playing one tough non conference game.

B1G playing 2 cupcakes while SEC teams play 3 cupcakes due to their 8 game league schedule.

Now that we are in the B1G and playing Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State we can get a playoff spot without playing an SEC team in the non league.

We just need to be ranked high enough to be able to play the SEC in the playoffs.

For the next few years we need to keep our home and home games with Oklahoma State and Baylor and then play 2 easier games.

Before doing research, I thought we should get rid of the Big 12 games and replace them with cupcakes but Michigan and Ohio State are playing teams like Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama and Georgia in the near future.

It is probably too late to play that tough of an opponent in the next 4-5 years but we should not schedule 3 cupcakes.

By playing the Big12 teams and possibly Oregon State that could help offset the big non conference games that Michigan and Ohio State are playing.

It also helps that we get an opportunity to beat Michigan and Ohio State in league games or in a B1G championship game thus benefitting from them playing and beating a SEC team in non league.

Short term (2024-2028) there is probably not a lot that the Ducks can change with their schedules but I'm curious to see what teams we schedule for 2029 and beyond.

FBSCHEDULES.COM

View future college football schedules and opponents at FBSchedules.com. We have future schedules for all FBS and FCS teams.

I'm completely aware of the 2024-28 schedules, we should definitely keep our Baylor and Oklahoma State home and home series' and then schedule good teams like Alabama in the 2030's, hopefully we get an insight of the programs Rob Mullens is working to schedule 👀

• Thumbs Up 1

You trust Rob to schedule together a schedule after he just gave up a home game Vs. a P4 opponent to play a G5.2 team on the road. 

How many P4 hotel reservations for P4 TX Tach in Eugene are gone? 

Why? OREGON and OSU are not governed by the same legislative body, OSU is suing Oregon. UW had an opening for WSU, but Oregon did not have an opening for OSU and is giving up a home game.

This is Larry Scott Pac-12 kind of BS. 

I have a great idea, give up a bunch of money for someone suing me.

Who gives a dam about the Beavers, their unctuous, self-righteous fans, and the CW channel, if that? At the very least the Oregon vs. Texas Tech game would have been shown on the BTN.

There is stupid and then there is this.

Pathetic.   

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/6/2023 at 6:29 PM, Jon Joseph said:

You trust Rob to schedule together a schedule after he just gave up a home game Vs. a P4 opponent to play a G5.2 team on the road. 

How many P4 hotel reservations for P4 TX Tach in Eugene are gone? 

Why? OREGON and OSU are not governed by the same legislative body, OSU is suing Oregon. UW had an opening for WSU, but Oregon did not have an opening for OSU and is giving up a home game.

This is Larry Scott Pac-12 kind of BS. 

I have a great idea, give up a bunch of money for someone suing me.

Who gives a dam about the Beavers, their unctuous, self-righteous fans, and the CW channel, if that? At the very least the Oregon vs. Texas Tech game would have been shown on the BTN.

There is stupid and then there is this.

Pathetic.   

Yes, I trust Rob Mullens to make good scheduling decisions going forward.

I fully agree with his decision to keep the tradition of the Civil War.

Rob is looking at the long term best interest of the Oregon program.

Giving up one home game out of eight in 2024 is not important when looking long term.

Having the Civil War game in Corvallis in the years that we play five B1G home games and then playing in Eugene when we only have four B1G home games is very smart.

The game in Corvallis gives us a game with very little travel which offsets the longer distance most of the B1G away games require.

I appreciate that Rob is not letting his emotions rule his actions in regards to the pending litigation regarding revenue distribution.

I'm sure Rob realizes that since neither side will get everything they want why let the litigation stop us from scheduling Civil War football, basketball, softball, and volleyball games.

I also like scheduling the Civil War game in September. This keeps the bye week prior to the Washington game.

I am looking forward to seeing what our schedule will look like beyond 2028.

• Whew! 1

I wish Charles Fisher gave us a little insight on how Oregon's future schedules could look like beginning in 2029.

I don't know how the Committee will go. UW had more top-25 wins than Michigan, a team that played a joke of an OOC slate, finishes behind the Wolverines, and plays in New Orleans and not in Pasadena.

Liberty with the 133 SOS out of 133 teams is in a NY 6 bowl.

With 2Ls, Oregon would be in the 2024 playoff field. With 3Ls like LSU, Oregon would be left out.

On the other hand, Texas is in because the SEC champ was not going to be PO benched and Texas beat Bama.

I want to see how the Committee handles SOS compared to simply wins and losses before ramping up a schedule that has Oregon playing MW champ Boise, Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and UW in 2024. IMO, that's more than enough meat on the scheduling bone.

Many a hero is awarded the medal posthumously. 

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Like 1

On 12/8/2023 at 9:54 AM, Thomallister1291 said:

I wish Charles Fisher gave us a little insight on how Oregon's future schedules could look like beginning in 2029.

First of all...it is Charles Fischer, and second...how would I know?  I get the same media announcements as all the other media sources, and I do not attend any of the news conferences since we are a no-profit, all-volunteer site.

I have no inside access, and frankly--would not use it for this topic if I did.  Any goodwill capital would be used for a significant inside tip--if that was possible, but it is not.  I understand your passion for this topic, and welcome the discussion, but I have no inside information here.  Sorry.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/8/2023 at 12:30 PM, Charles Fischer said:

First of all...it is Charles Fischer, and second...how would I know?  I get the same media announcements as all the other media sources, and I do not attend any of the news conferences since we are a no-profit, all-volunteer site.

I have no inside access, and frankly--would not use it for this topic if I did.  Any goodwill capital would be used for a significant inside tip--if that was possible, but it is not.  I understand your passion for this topic, and welcome the discussion, but I have no inside information here.  Sorry.

I've made a huge mistake, sorry...

• Salute 1