Sunshine Larry

One MAJOR Issue With The Pay Window Model Proposed

Say the option exists and players begin to get salaries through the school. How can it be sustained when equal pay is gonna be a major sore point if non revenue producing athletes don't get payed the same?

We've heard about this issue with the USWNT not getting what the USMNT. It's going on with WNBA players as we speak. Football revenue funds sports like Lacrosse, Water Polo, and many other smaller sports. Separate the football funds and there's a major financial windfall effect.

It's a major Pandora's Box.  It will make college football lose its magic. I personally have no issue with pay, but I really don't want to have it become a recurring topic overshadowing the games.

Edited by Sunshine Larry
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/9/2023 at 5:54 AM, Sunshine Larry said:

How can it be sustained when equal pay is gonna be a major sore point if non revenue producing athletes don't get payed the same?

I believe that was covered in the original article linked.  All athletes would be paid.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

At least 50% of a school's scholarship athletes would have to be paid with Title 9 athletes being included.

The minimum 'trust fund' buy-in works out to $6M. Although it is styled as a trust fund, players will receive money when in school.

It's a ways from fruition but it will happen. And it will put pressure on schools like Arizona and UCLA with athletic departments deep in red ink. And also puts pressure on schools that do not want to be employers.

Baker and the NCAA see the writing on the wall and more litigation coming. With the inclusion of Title 9 athletes, the plan could receive Congressional support and relief from actions by the NLRB and the lawyers.

With 50% of the athletes required to be paid the easy remedy will be to eliminate several sports.

One way or another, a Super League is coming.

• Great post! 1

On 12/9/2023 at 8:02 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I believe that was covered in the original article linked.  All athletes would be paid.

I read an article on the New York Times drawing the question of stipends. I'm hoping to just learn about all this once, then let it slip to the back as I enjoy the games. College football has always been about a maximum of about 16 programs that can win a title.

College basketball is the big question, Rick Pitino recently brought up that issue. Many private small colleges have real title aspirations. 

On 12/9/2023 at 10:23 AM, Jon Joseph said:

At least 50% of a school's scholarship athletes would have to be paid with Title 9 athletes being included.

The minimum 'trust fund' buy-in works out to $6M. Although it is styled as a trust fund, players will receive money when in school.

It's a ways from fruition but it will happen. And it will put pressure on schools like Arizona and UCLA with athletic departments deep in red ink. And also puts pressure on schools that do not want to be employers.

Baker and the NCAA see the writing on the wall and more litigation coming. With the inclusion of Title 9 athletes, the plan could receive Congressional support and relief from actions by the NLRB and the lawyers.

With 50% of the athletes required to be paid the easy remedy will be to eliminate several sports.

One way or another, a Super League is coming.

I'm guessing we were always heading there. Once NIL was allowed in, the writing was on the wall. This stuff has been going on behind the scenes for years. Even at the High School level.

IMG Academy in Florida is as much an "Academy", as McDonalds is a fine dining institution. Super Leagues are already here imo. It's just a matter of time until Northwestern and Vanderbilt are traded in for FSU and Clemson.

Undefeated seasons are going to become near impossibilities in football. Not only is the quality of opponents going up, but the number of games is as well. Twenty years ago, Ohio State set the record as the first ever team to win 13 games.

Back in the 80's, 10-0 would get you a National Title. This year you have two 13-0 teams in the playoff. Your champion will either be 15-0, or 14-1.

Next year it gets even longer. Do you think the season's are going to get shorter? These guys are gonna be playing longer seasons, against tougher opponents. Even the mighty SEC is going to have to play against at least two more quality opponents if they get into the playoff. Which of course many of them will.

No taking the cap off the bottle now.

• Thumbs Up 1

“One way or another, a Super League is coming.”

You got that right.

More and more, it’s all gonna be all about big money and pay to play athletics. 

IN: NIL, transfer portal (i.e., free agency), player salaries and who knows what else in pursuit of a piece of the money pie.

OUT: Tradition, rivalries, conferences who can’t draw the big bucks.

The PAC-whatever is the first casualty. There will be many more winners and losers in the pay to play equation. Individual university programs will adapt or die.

In keeping with the change, NCAA Division 1 football needs to drop “NCAA” and move toward a new acronym reflecting the new priorities. I suggest the following:

Football for

Universities in search of

Big media

Athletic 

Revenue

• Thumbs Up 1