NJDuck

Wow! Reason for McLellan's Flip To Oregon? 'They had a more stable program'

The biggest firework show that Dan Lanning and the Oregon Ducks provided on national signing day a couple of weeks ago came when 4-star wide receiver Jeremiah McClellan — the No. 49 player in the 2024 class — flipped his commitment from the Ohio State Buckeyes, ultimately signing as one of the top-ranked players in Oregon’s class.

There are several reasons why McClellan ultimately chose to flip, but in the end he said that the relationships he built with Lanning and the Oregon staff were the biggest factors. On top of that, he told 247Sports (subscription required) that the Ducks’ quarterback situation and the stability of the program weighed into the decision as well.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon Ducks 4-star WR signee Jeremiah McClellan detailed what led to his flip from Ohio State on signing day.

• Wow 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Kids a genius. And really good.

“They have two very good quarterbacks, so I’ll be set for quarterbacks the next four or five years I’d say, so that was a big thing for Oregon.”

Wouldn't it be lovely to have a long term run from a high octane offense?

Just dreaming with my eyes wide open!

• Like 1

I think it was the on3 interview I read that said that Ohio State only had one person recruit him, their OC, while Oregon used a team approach. 

In that interview it said that he felt like he had a community to fall back on when things got hard because he had relationships with more coaches. 

Goes to show you that relationships are still absolutely the biggest factor in recruiting. NIL is massive as well but it's certainly more fickle. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2

Also, the coaching team members exchange thoughts and build off one another.  Obviously with connections to more people on staff the player will be more comfortable when he arrives in a strange place.

This team method must require a great deal more time away from home for staff.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1