Mudslide

Ducks Shine In ESPN Top 2023 Players Ranking ... 4 In Top 51

On 1/3/2024 at 10:35 PM, Mudslide said:
WWW.ESPN.COM

With the 2023 college football season almost complete, we rank the top 100 players of the year.

Daniels better than Penix? Daniels better than Caleb? But Daniels did go 2-3 vs. teams with winning records.

The ESPM SEC machine carries on.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 7:53 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Daniels better than Penix? Daniels better than Caleb? But Daniels did go 2-3 vs. teams with winning records.

The ESPM SEC machine carries on.

Yep.  ESPiN is biased and generally misses the point of accuracy that I almost didn't post the article.  I did post it because in my mind, and regardless of their SEC bias, it displays high praise for a PAC-12-Gone team to have included players with higher ranking (to number 51) than any but Alabama.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The problem is Penix is a borderline first round pick. He was sick(?) or injured for a chunk of the season and didn't power through it very well. It's a miracle UW went undefeated. If Oregon had beat UW by 3 twice instead of the other way around then Penix would be in the 30's on this list.

He has a rocket arm but he's injury prone, and he's not a field general either. I would not draft him in the first round. Caleb Williams may cry at the end of games, but he's a top 5 pick. 

Edited by 2002duck
  • Mic drop 1

Friend Mud, thanks for the post and all of your posts and comments on OBD. I am just PO'd that this is the second time, the first being the McCaffery snub, that East and Southern voters have screwed over a Left Coast player who should have won the Heisman. Talking heads on ESPN and the SEC Network were wondering how Penix could even be in the same discussion with Daniels. 

FOX guy Joel Klatt called out the Heisman voters before the Sugar Bowl game. Now, many have seen the light.

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Michael Penix Jr. put on a dazzling passing display to lead Washington to the national championship. That left fans questioning the Heisman winner.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/3/2024 at 11:33 PM, 2002duck said:

The problem is Penix is a borderline first round pick. He was sick(?) or injured for a chunk of the season and didn't power through it very well. It's a miracle UW went undefeated. If Oregon had beat UW by 3 twice instead of the other way around then Penix would be in the 30's on this list.

He has a rocket arm but he's injury prone, and he's not a field general either. I would not draft him in the first round. Caleb Williams may cry at the end of games, but he's a top 5 pick. 

Penix is the most accurate passer I've ever seen, and a baller. Any really good team would be a fool not to pick him up in the back half of the first round.

I’m surprised Tez Johnson wasn’t ranked in ESPN’s top 100. He certainly should have been. Franklin is rated 26, yet Johnson caught more passes than Franklin and was only slightly behind him in yardage. Maybe it’s another example of east coast bias.

It’s wonderful news for OBD that Johnson has decided to return for his senior year. His skill and leadership will add to what should be an outstanding team next year.

Edited by latracey