FishDuck Article

Surprise! The Lannings DO Have Roots

Late Wednesday afternoon when I saw the thread on FishDuck.com about Alabama’s Nick Saban retiring and Dan Lanning being a “Top Target” for the job, I knew immediately that the worst for Duck fans wasn’t going to happen.  I knew not because I have some vast knowledge about the intricacies of college football coach contract negotiations and career changes.  I ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Late Wednesday afternoon when I saw the thread on FishDuck.com about Alabama’s Nick Saban retiring and Dan Lanning being a “Top Target”...
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

The pursuit of one*’s professional goals while still keeping an eye on your family’s health and well being can be difficult at best. There are so many balls to juggle and try to keep in the air when you have a young family. 

It is refreshing to see that DL has embraced Eugene, and the Oregon Ducks for his professional goals and family well being. 

Next step is to prove that Oregon is a destination where the goal of winning a National Championship becomes reality.

• Thumbs Up 2

I spent almost all my school age years (elementary - Jr. High - HS - B.S. at Oregon) in Eugene. I agree with you.  Eugene is a special place.

My career took me to a small town south of Portland.  Because my family is still close that's why I have stayed.  But Eugene still calls.

Thanks, Mike, for sharing your story!

Great article, Mike! 

Absolutely right!  $7 million a year for you and your family in Eugene?  Yes, Please!  Can’t beat it!

Plus….Dan’s making the next “Alabama” right here at Oregon!  It’s all good!

Thanks Grandpa Duck for sharing your family journey. Sometimes core family  values and careers place tremendous strain on the family unit.

Making balanced choices isn't often easy. Smart decision making is needed no matter the priorities.....

For WT and MC going home may have worked out great for them and their families. Career wise maybe not? The massive pay days certainly eased them thru their mistakes.

Coach Lanning has his family living where they are happy, coupled with big time paychecks. Lanning doesnt have to leave Eigene to go home and have his dream job.

Eugene is his dream job and his home. DL will hold his job during those 8-5 or 7-6 seasons in Eugene. The fans will be frustrated but supportive. Some Forum members will meltdown and be temporarily banned. But the Oregon fans are family and DL Is part of the family 

Back to back mediocre seasons at Tuscaloosa and you will be gone.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dan Lanning's response and his handling of Spenser Webb's accidental death when DL was the new man in the box meant to me that this guy was smart. It meant to me that he had compassion and had already become part of a team and he became part of a family. He honored a kid who was so likable in many ways.

His quick recognition of Webb's place on the team and what he was to the players showed he had empathy for all. I thought " This guy is a keeper. He comes with the right pedigree and he'll develop roots". His treks with the team to Spencer Butte not only honored Webb but it brought the team even closer together. That added to Our Beloved Duck's spirit. His further honoring him with his number placed at the 4 yard line was a touch of class.

Thank you Dan Lanning. Your roots will run deep.

Chuc007

• Thumbs Up 3