Solar

Wow, Soap Opera Results in Arizona Players Not Following Fisch to UW

WWW.ON3.COM

One prominent donor of the University of Arizona had some strong words for Jedd Fisch after he left the Wildcats for...

This is huge. As we've discussed, one of the likely reasons UW picked up Fisch was he had a roster he could bring with him. That ain't happening. UW is in a world of hurt now.

And you can bet Lanning will use the broken trust against any recruits picking between us and them.

Edited by Solar
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

The big time coaching carousel has a flip side that has become painfully (for some, like Fusky) obvious this cycle. Jilted wealthy and high profile donors aren't usually so public with their disdain, so kudos to Lopez for calling Fisch out and doing what it took to keep Fafita and TMac at Arizona. Undoubtedly there was serious NIL involved, but an element of loyalty was probably in play as well.

I lived in Tucson several years ago during the Lute Olsen/Sean Elliott/Steve Kerr era. The town embraces U of A sports and much like Eugene, really celebrates when both hoops and football are good. More power to the 'Cats as they enter the B12 with so much offensive firepower intact.

The assumption that a departing coach can pilfer a roster, àla Riley-Williams to U$C, will hold less weight going forward. The failure of the "what's good for me is good for thee" conceit will leave more coaches like Fisch grasping to fill a roster when their best players don't follow them to their new school.

In the case of the mutts, it couldn't happen to a nicer pack of dogs.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

This makes me dislike the mutts even more than I did.

I feel the pain of the fans at Arizona and will be pulling for their new coach and staying players to win except if they play our Ducks of coarse.

Looks like loyalty isn’t dead, as long as you have donors like Mr Lopez and of coarse Uncle Phil.

Fisch is going to make hating the Huskies even easier, as he is clearly much more "ethically-impaired" than prior Washington coaches.  This will stain the Husky recruiting, no doubt, as Jedd tries to carry out the...

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

Perfect for U of Florida, Fisch era will be brief.

A football legend at U of A would not take much. Arizona is, other than when AZ played at UCLA, the only Pac team never to play in the Rose Bowl. 

Had Fisch not left, AZ would have been in contention for the B12 title. Now? AZ trips to Utah in 2024. Utah on paper has one difficult road game, at OK St. Keep Rising upright and I think Utah is the B12 leader in the clubhouse.

Fans showed up for the football games this season but more often than not AZ does not sell out a small stadium.

On 1/21/2024 at 1:28 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Perfect for U of Florida, Fisch era will be brief.

Per SP+, Florida has the most difficult SOS in the nation in 2024. USC is No. 2, Oregon, No. 13. 

QB Mertz did have a good year at UF and he is back.

A serious question, what makes Frisch slimier than any other coach that leaves his team?

On 1/21/2024 at 4:35 PM, TerryM9 said:

A serious question, what makes Frisch slimier than any other coach that leaves his team?

Sorry, I do not have the time to link and quote everything he has said.  You can search and read it all, or not.

Just my opinion...

Mr. FishDuck

Mr. FishDuck

Fisch might end up being right up there with Don James when it comes to the slime factor at UW.

I love depression when it’s mutt fans that are depressed.

• Haha 1