Duckley Palace

The Big Ten Team Most Affected By Expansion...

Everybody today is talking about four programs in the new Big Ten. Those four being the defending National Champion Wolverines, for obvious reasons. You have three huge talking points there. For posterity I don't need to rehash this. All of our great fans hear on O.B.D know what's happened. Championship. Cheating Scandal. Harbaugh.

As for the second most talked about team, that being those nutty Buckeyes. A team that has dominated the Big Ten since hiring Jim Tressell back in 2001. Who promptly won a National Title his second year, and completely turned around the fortunes of that big game. Winning all but one in his tenure(2003), and winning 8 conference titles. Before eventually being forced out following the Terrell Pryor tattoo incident in 2010.

That program then went on to hire Meyer, who turned them into an SEC level program in 2012. He took a roster mostly packed with Ohio kids, and that's a talent rich State, but there is speed in the south unlike anything in the Midwest .We all know what's happened after that, like I said, even though we're Ducks, we aren't bird brains.

The other two programs ,are the ones we know most about. That being Washington, who just had their best year since the early 90's, and OBD. Washington is heading into the Big Ten at less than full strength. They don't recruit at an elite level, sitting around the low 40's, to 50's depending on who you believe. That was with DeBoer, who struck it rich with Penix. But he is gone, as well as 80 percent of their 22 starters , from two weeks ago.

Oregon is heading into the Big Ten with bravado, overflowing talent, and the best young coach in the nation. Seriously I don't need to elaborate on this. Is anybody really debating our trajectory? We had NFL bound guys not opt out in our bowl game. The exact opposite of Ohio State, who laid an egg against Missouri. So that's all I need to say on that.

But finally getting to my point, the program with the most to lose with Oregon, USC, and maybe Washington in the future(big maybe). Is it Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa, or Minnesota? No, no, no, and really(lol). Those programs are either long past their days of being a true blue blood. A program that is good, but never great. A program that just oozes with being content with their place below the top three before expansion, and lastly the team with the boatman.

No, the program I'm speaking on has won double digits every year essentially since they hired a man, who got a 75 million dollar extension. A man who recruits at an elite level, an average class recruit rating of about 74.5 to low 80's. This man came out and said his program needs to go from good to elite after blowing a 17 point lead in Columbus in '17. A matchup of top 5 programs. A man that has won a Big Ten title.

But this man has never gotten his program into the four team playoff. This man seemingly can beat everybody outside the top two he plays every year. This program is a consensus "third wheel" in the Big Ten.

This program has a rabid fan base, a great history. This is a program that doesn't accept being just good. They view themselves in the same light as Ohio State, Michigan, Oregon, or USC . But they haven't shown it outside 2016. 

Since that year, they've had one win over the two above them in conference. That was before the new Big Ten. That program entered the Big Ten in 1990, and did so to be at or above the Big Two. No bowing to the feet of those two. But they haven't been at that level. They find themselves in a worse spot than Ohio State, they got blown out in their bowl game, yet you don't hear about their "struggles".  At least nationally.

It seems like they know what's coming too. They see the new kids, and the new kid they should fear most of knocking them from their perch right below blue bloods, that have owned the conference isn't on their historic level. Being behind Michigan, and Ohio State is one thing. But being behind a team that is such an idealogical opposed entity, from uniforms, to stadium size, to being traditionalists ,is OBD.

Our recruiting rankings listed on most sites is just below Ohio State. Ranging from average recruits being in the high 80's, to low 90's is well above theirs. Our coach is just as loud, just as energetic, and he comes from the SEC, just like Franklin. But he comes from Georgia, not Vanderbilt. So to me, Penn State is the program, and James Franklin is the coach, whom has the most to fear from expansion.

Apparently their fan base feels the same. Sorry to post my rambling thoughts in such a drawn out way. But I tried to paint it as succinctly as I could😂. I'm just super excited to move onto this new frontier. But many traditional Big Ten fanbases aren't. Penn State has the biggest reality check coming. Outside of USC, they may have been the fan base that really wasn't thrilled when Fox decided to pay for our move.

Edited by Duckley Palace

I think you make a great point that the teams on the lower end of the top tier have the most to lose with Oregon coming on-board.  Not only Penn State, but I think Wisconsin and Iowa are not thrilled about a possibility of one more loss in the B1G that can exclude them from the Playoff.

In the video, they make reference to a quote by Dan Lanning of how, "you have to win recruiting in the portal."  Implying that the portal is the recruiting focus at Oregon, and the 'Lions are the "good-guys" focusing on high school players.

Uh, no, on Rivals.com Oregon finished No. 6 while Penn State finished No. 16 in the nation for high school recruiting.

N.RIVALS.COM

2024 all-teams football recruiting team rankings by Rivals.com

Lanning is killing it in BOTH!

• Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I think the misconception comes from getting Bo Nix, and now Dillion Gabriel, oh and the freshman from UCLA. Completely forgetting we recruited and groomed Heisman winner Marcus Mariota, and top five NFL QB Justin Herbert.

The site I posted a link to has us just below Ohio State in average recruit rating. A full ten points ahead of Penn State. Yes Lanning has used the portal, but not like Ole Miss, or Washington. So it's just misinformed. They're upset because we have the guys behind the scenes that are playing the game better than them.

I would ask them if they would take Lanning over Franklin. I bet seven out of ten would say yes. I could put a poll on this site, and I don't think one out of twenty would say yes. Maybe I'm a homer though. I wouldn't take Dabo, Ryan Day, Harbaugh, Belichick, Kiffin, Sarkasian, Meyer,Kirby,  or Riley either. Straight honesty. Maybe I'll feel foolish in five years, but it's how I really feel. 

Our guy is young, he's a great recruiter. Seems to be a guy wanting to make Oregon his home.  I don't think he would just jump if the Georgia job came open. That's the only one I'd even think he might entertain. Not Texas, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, LSU, or Florida, and contrary to mutts up north, not Alabama.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The irony of Penn State, or Michigan fans talking about "honor", or doing it the right way is beyond hilarious. Penn State won't use NIL because of Joe Paterno not wanting to drain the sanctity of college football? Umm does anybody want to speak up about the reason he got fired? 

So Oregon is slimy because they are asking fans to donate to NIL? First of all, it's businesses that are paying players. The school , NCAA, and adults in the room have been making money for years off the sport of football. So a 19 year old kid getting a deal from a car dealership , or restaurant doesn't bother me. But yeah, Nebraska wasn't doing anything shady back in the day. With their preferred walk on program.

Michigan certainly didn't do anything shady, because Harbaugh had a non termination clause in his contract negotiations with Michigan. I mean this stuff is almost too unbelievable for a soap opera.

But remember guys, our program has no class. Oregon is demanding we as fans subsidize their NIL requirements. Just wait for the leg breakers. 

Penn State. If the BCS and 'Playoff' had 12-team fields, Penn State would have been tied for the most PO appearances. 

PSU misses nemesis Michigan in 2024 and plays Ohio State in Happy Valley. The Nittany Lions' toughest road game appears to be the trip to USC on 10/12 when tOSU will be playing in Eugene. 

Franklin after going 10-2 in 2023 with 'predictable' losses to Ohio State and Michigan, did not have his team ready to play 10-2 Ole Miss in the NY6 Peach Bowl. Franklin will be under pressure to make the PO field in 2024. 

As to lesser programs that will have a harder row to hoe. So far, with equal revenue distribution, a rising tide lifts all boats. Ask Vandy. But IMO this distribution model will be gone come 2030. Streaming is coming and eyes on the prize will matter as will success on the football fields and men's basketball courts.

• Thumbs Up 1