Jon Joseph

B1G Saturday Tradition - 'Oregon in 2024 Will Have the B1G's Best Roster' and Other B1G Takes from Matt Hayes

Lots of props to Puddles in Hayes' latest B1G takes.

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

Freshman QB Dylan Raiola is the key to everything. And he might be good enough to lead a Playoff push. Plus: B1G power rankings and more.

• Go Ducks! 1

Terrific Signing Day 90-minute wrap-up show on today's B1G Live on the Big 10 Network (BTN).

Lots of love for Oregon. BTN uses the 247 recruiting and combined recruiting and transfer portal roster rankings. Oregon finishes No. 1 in the B1G and No. 3 in combined recruiting and transfer portal rankings, behind Georgia and Alabama and two spots in front of Ohio State. OHIO STATE!

Did you ever think even a year ago that we would see this? Amazing.

Wherever you have to go to subscribe, do subscribe to the BTN. Better and deeper coverage of Oregon since the relocation to the B1G was announced than in 10+ years on Larry's Network.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

From a Buckeye site . . . "When factoring in transfers, the Buckeyes have the No. 3 recruiting class in the country and the second-highest average player ranking behind only Georgia. Oregon is the only other Big Ten team (yep, that’s going to take some getting used to) in the top 10 at No. 4. Penn State is No. 14, Michigan is No. 18, and USC is No. 20. Nebraska and Wisconsin come in at Nos. 23 and 24 respectively.

Love that, plus compare our DLine haul to theirs:  Assuming that Kirks does sign with OSU today, he will be the 21st scholarship player in OSU’s class and the ninth in the top 200 of 247’s Composite Rankings. He would join five-star Eddrick Houston and three-star Eric Mensah as the only defensive lineman in the class (Houston is an EDGE rusher, while Mensah and Kirks will play inside), but given that Jack Sawyer, J.T. Tuimoloau, and Tyleik Williams all opted to return, the lack of defensive line reinforcements isn’t as big of an issue this cycle — but it absolutely will be in 2025.

When you have a great class, you tout it, and it is always nice to have a great one than one that is pretty average. OSU always has great recruiting classes and does a pretty fair job of developing recruits who choose to stick around. But they haven't got over the hump to snatch the brass ring for many years now (of course the same could be said of Georgia until recently). Development of talent is paramount!

Rhule at Nebraska is a very good coach and I have commented before that I expect him to make the Huskers respectable again. But with the roster he has at present (including the incomers) I think it is far to much to expect a talented Freshman QB like Raiola to lead them within sniffing distance of the promised land. I think that they will be lucky to keep the kid on his feet if they try to start him as a first-year QB in the B1G. Had he stayed at Georgia, he'd received virtually no first-team reps as a Freshman behind Carson Beck (but that's not the major reason he transferred).

• Thumbs Up 2

How is it that that the BTN does a better job highlighting the Ducks when they aren't even official members till August, than the PTN ever did? 

Edited by Duckley Palace
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/8/2024 at 1:34 AM, Nevada Dawg said:

When you have a great class, you tout it, and it is always nice to have a great one than one that is pretty average. OSU always has great recruiting classes and does a pretty fair job of developing recruits who choose to stick around. But they haven't got over the hump to snatch the brass ring for many years now (of course the same could be said of Georgia until recently). Development of talent is paramount!

Rhule at Nebraska is a very good coach and I have commented before that I expect him to make the Huskers respectable again. But with the roster he has at present (including the incomers) I think it is far to much to expect a talented Freshman QB like Raiola to lead them within sniffing distance of the promised land. I think that they will be lucky to keep the kid on his feet if they try to start him as a first-year QB in the B1G. Had he stayed at Georgia, he'd received virtually no first-team reps as a Freshman behind Carson Beck (but that's not the major reason he transferred).

Good call on Nebraska and Ruhle. The Cornhuskers are No. 3 out of 134 ranked teams in returning production with the No. 18 recruiting class. No. 6 in the B1G. Ruhle is also bringing in transfers who will help the cause. UTEP and No. Iowa trip to Lincoln or OOC games as does CU in a revenge matchup. The Huskers play at Ohio State, Iowa, and USC but miss Oregon, Michigan, and Penn State. Wisconsin trips to Lincoln. 

I think Nebraska and Wisconsin, with the Badgers also in the recruiting top 25, and if QB Van Dyke can play like he did before Mario showed up, are two B1G dark horse contenders. 

AMAZING! Your Dawgs lose a 5* QB recruit to Nebraska, Raiola, and still finish #1 in recruiting.

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 2/7/2024 at 11:13 PM, Steven A said:

From a Buckeye site . . . "When factoring in transfers, the Buckeyes have the No. 3 recruiting class in the country and the second-highest average player ranking behind only Georgia. Oregon is the only other Big Ten team (yep, that’s going to take some getting used to) in the top 10 at No. 4. Penn State is No. 14, Michigan is No. 18, and USC is No. 20. Nebraska and Wisconsin come in at Nos. 23 and 24 respectively.

Love that, plus compare our DLine haul to theirs:  Assuming that Kirks does sign with OSU today, he will be the 21st scholarship player in OSU’s class and the ninth in the top 200 of 247’s Composite Rankings. He would join five-star Eddrick Houston and three-star Eric Mensah as the only defensive lineman in the class (Houston is an EDGE rusher, while Mensah and Kirks will play inside), but given that Jack Sawyer, J.T. Tuimoloau, and Tyleik Williams all opted to return, the lack of defensive line reinforcements isn’t as big of an issue this cycle — but it absolutely will be in 2025.

Good post, thanks. BTN, The Big-10 Network uses 247 Sports recruiting, portal, and combined roster rankings. Accordingly, tOSU's numbers are terrific but behind Oregon as discussed on yesterday's BTN signing day special. 

I certainly understand why Charles likes Rivals. With the BTN using 247, this is what I intend to use. 

On 2/8/2024 at 1:15 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Yeah they lost Raiola but already had another high 4-Star QB coming in who  is already turning heads in voluntary workouts with the receivers. Said to have an even stronger arm than Raiola, so no one is crying over the team's misfortune. I've come to trust Kirby Smart to always have some kind of acceptable contingency plan for just about any eventuality.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 seniors for the ducks in 24'..23 in the past two years combined, like that they are bringing back talent and experience in the inaugural BIG year

• Thumbs Up 1

7 in the top 25 is nice but not as B1G as the SEC's 13 out of 16 with Arkansas coming in No. 26. 

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

The Big Ten produced several standout recruiting classes in the 2024 cycle.