NJDuck

College Football Coach Rankings: Kirby Smart, Ryan Day Highlight Top Coaches Five Years from Now

He did make a mistake as far as Oregon's 2023 win record.  Was 12 win season unless he's not counting the bowl game.

It’s a new era of college football, and the transfer portal, NIL and conference realignment have forced the nation’s premier coaches to adapt. Coach rankings for the 2024 season have the usual suspects at the top, but who will reign supreme five seasons from now? National recruiting analyst Cooper Petagna weighed in recently on the Football Recruiting Podcast.

Several factors went into these rankings. Petagna looked at the coaches with the most noticeable momentum coming out of the current season and whether they’re poised to build off it thanks to strong results on the recruiting trail. The program leaders best adapted to NIL and the transfer portal found their way into the rankings. Age was also a big factor and kept guys like Brian Kelly, Willie Fritz and Mike Gundy from making the cut.

Petagna saw value in several other coaches who didn’t make his top five, including Hugh Freeze (Auburn) and Lane Kiffin (Ole Miss), who barely missed the cut. He also shouted out Kalen DeBoer (Alabama), Marcus Freeman (Notre Dame) and Eli Drinkwitz (Missouri).

Here are college football’s top five coaches five years from now:

247SPORTS.COM

Who will be the top coach in college football in five years? Our experts weigh in.

• Thanks 1

Thank you, NJ. For this and all of the other great posts.

5 years. These days in CFB who the heck knows where the game itself will be in 5 years? In close to 5 years we (I may be stretching it with the 'we?') will see at least 2 new significant events, the renegotiation of the B1G media deal, with Oregon as a full partner, and the Playoff media broadcast deal also renegotiated with the new deal beginning in 2031/32. I doubt that in the next half-decade, we will see stasis in the conference realignment, NIL, direct pay-for-play, players as employees, how the product will be delivered, etc. fronts. 

DeBoer, Freeze, Kiff, Sark, and Smart. Based on the pressure in the SEC, I wonder how many of these men will still be coaching in the SEC 5 years from now? Is there room for all five of these guys to be successful in the SEC along with the coaches at A+M, Florida, Oklahoma, and other SEC teams? The Dixie standard is Natty or Bust. In the next five seasons, I do not see all five of these coaches winning a CFB playoff title. Norvell? Where will the Seminoles be chopping? In the easier ACC, the SEC, or elsewhere? Perhaps the B1G if FSU can capture an AAU ranking.

If Big Time CFB continues to coalesce, as is likely, there will be fewer jobs for the more talented coaches; possibly without the parity guardrails built into the NFL. Even with the guardrails, Kansas City is odds-on to play in its 5th Super Bowl in 6 seasons in 2024/25. Lots of quality, experienced coaches do not win titles or win half their games or more. Boil CFB down to say, 32 to 40 teams and how much room will there be at the top? 

Dan Lanning? I won't, of course, argue with a Natty in the next five seasons. It is certainly doable with Dan at the helm. At 37 years of age, is Dan a CFB lifer? Win a Natty or two, kids grown up and gone, will Dan hear the NFL sirens calling? Have to love the man's loyalty. Turning down Bama? Wow. But if Ryan Day heads off to the pros and Dan receives an offer closer to his midwest growing-up place? And bless him and I am certain that Phil Knight will take care of Oregon after departing this mortal coil, but 5 years from now Uncle Phil will be 91. The world could look different to a 42-year-old Danno. 

Change is permanent. And in this wired world we live in today, change seems to be accelerating. Any prediction 5 years out that materializes will take one heck of a futurist and a lot of good fortune, a/k/a luck.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 2/14/2024 at 9:50 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Thank you, NJ. For this and all of the other great posts.

5 years. These days in CFB who the heck knows where the game itself will be in 5 years? In close to 5 years we (I may be stretching it with the 'we?') will see at least 2 new significant events, the renegotiation of the B1G media deal, with Oregon as a full partner, and the Playoff media broadcast deal also renegotiated with the new deal beginning in 2031/32. I doubt that in the next half-decade, we will see stasis in the conference realignment, NIL, direct pay-for-play, players as employees, how the product will be delivered, etc. fronts. 

DeBoer, Freeze, Kiff, Sark, and Smart. Based on the pressure in the SEC, I wonder how many of these men will still be coaching in the SEC 5 years from now? Is there room for all five of these guys to be successful in the SEC along with the coaches at A+M, Florida, Oklahoma, and other SEC teams? The Dixie standard is Natty or Bust. In the next five seasons, I do not see all five of these coaches winning a CFB playoff title. Norvell? Where will the Seminoles be chopping? In the easier ACC, the SEC, or elsewhere? Perhaps the B1G if FSU can capture an AAU ranking.

If Big Time CFB continues to coalesce, as is likely, there will be fewer jobs for the more talented coaches; possibly without the parity guardrails built into the NFL. Even with the guardrails, Kansas City is odds-on to play in its 5th Super Bowl in 6 seasons in 2024/25. Lots of quality, experienced coaches do not win titles or win half their games or more. Boil CFB down to say, 32 to 40 teams and how much room will there be at the top? 

Dan Lanning? I won't, of course, argue with a Natty in the next five seasons. It is certainly doable with Dan at the helm. At 37 years of age, is Dan a CFB lifer? Win a Natty or two, kids grown up and gone, will Dan hear the NFL sirens calling? Have to love the man's loyalty. Turning down Bama? Wow. But if Ryan Day heads off to the pros and Dan receives an offer closer to his midwest growing-up place? And bless him and I am certain that Phil Knight will take care of Oregon after departing this mortal coil, but 5 years from now Uncle Phil will be 91. The world could look different to a 42-year-old Danno. 

Change is permanent. And in this wired world we live in today, change seems to be accelerating. Any prediction 5 years out that materializes will take one heck of a futurist and a lot of good fortune, a/k/a luck.

Yeah, I know it's hard to project out one year and this is three, but I could see none of these coaches being where they are now. I hope Lanning is still at Oregon and think that's a good possibility.

Day, frankly I'm not that impressed with him and wouldn't include him in my top 5. OSU will not be satisfied if he doesn't have them at the top of the B1G and with at least one NC, I'm not sure he will get that done.

Smart as 1, I get, but will he still be at UG?

Norvell will be good at FSU, but will the weaker ACC get him the recruits and seeding in the play offs he needs?

Sark doesn't have a track record of sticking around long term, maybe that changes at TX maybe not. 

I actually think Lanning is the best possibility of being where he is and being this successful of the 5 of these. 

But as I said, 5 years is a long time in college football right now. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/15/2024 at 11:59 AM, OhioDuck said:

Yeah, I know it's hard to project out one year and this is three, but I could see none of these coaches being where they are now. I hope Lanning is still at Oregon and think that's a good possibility.

Day, frankly I'm not that impressed with him and wouldn't include him in my top 5. OSU will not be satisfied if he doesn't have them at the top of the B1G and with at least one NC, I'm not sure he will get that done.

Smart as 1, I get, but will he still be at UG?

Norvell will be good at FSU, but will the weaker ACC get him the recruits and seeding in the play offs he needs?

Sark doesn't have a track record of sticking around long term, maybe that changes at TX maybe not. 

I actually think Lanning is the best possibility of being where he is and being this successful of the 5 of these. 

But as I said, 5 years is a long time in college football right now. 

Ryan Day - 56 - 8 (1 of the Ls to Oregon.) B1G Record - 39-3, all 3 Ls to Michigan in the last 3 seasons where the Wolverines made the Final 4 and won the title in 2023. A Michigan team with 18 guys (!) invited to the Combine for the 2024 draft.

In 2022 if Harrison isn't injured, Ohio State, and not UGA, blows out TCU for a title. Lost to Mizzou in the Cotton Bowl without a QB on the field. But held MO. well below its scoring average playing in the SEC. 

Great take but who would you replace Day with? Especially after he convinced all draft-eligible players with eligibility left, except for Harrison to come back. Finished No. 5 in recruiting, did a great job with the transfer portal, and IMO caught a break with O'Brien headed to BC and Chip coming in to run the offense. 

No. 1 headed into 2024? UGA on the road vs. PO teams 12-2 Bama and 12-2 Texas and the Peach Bowl winner and 11-win team Ole Miss, or Ohio State, on the road at Oregon and at a Penn State team blown out by Ole Miss? A PSU team that has not defeated tOSU since 2016. Ohio State comes into 2024 with the easiest schedule of B1G title contenders. UGA will have a slight roster ranking edge but it will be slight; the Dawgs have a more difficult schedule in 2024 than the Buckeyes. 

On 2/15/2024 at 2:27 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Great take but who would you replace Day with? Especially after he convinced all draft-eligible players with eligibility left, except for Harrison to come back. Finished No. 5 in recruiting, did a great job with the transfer portal, and IMO caught a break with O'Brien headed to BC and Chip coming in to run the offense.

Quite frankly if I was Ohio St. I would keep Day.  His win/loss record is very good, especially what he's accomplished through recruiting/transfer and obtaining Chip Kelly as the OC. Seems to me he's correcting issues going into the 2024 season.  I am not convinced Chip is washed up (I guess will find out this coming season).  He has a perfect ideal situation at Ohio St.

Day lost to an experience Michigan team who went undefeated, won the national championship with 18 players invited to the combine.

• Thumbs Up 1