kirklandduck

Dante Moore Analysis by AddictedtoQuack

WWW.ADDICTEDTOQUACK.COM

Film review of Moore’s 2023 season at UCLA

A very detailed analysis of his talents and performance at UCLA. It lays bare the reason for his inconsistency: Chip Kelly failed to design an offense around his strengths.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

That made watching this film like jumping between the hot tub and the ice bath. There is an incredible amount of potential here, shown off with plays of astonishing talent, immediately followed by the inevitable catastrophes when a rookie is put in a half-baked offensive design with a fraction of the necessary supporting pieces.

The talent that Moore displays from the pocket is exceptional, and he has quite possibly the highest ceiling as a passer that I’ve ever seen. I have never in my life watched a quarterback generate so much effortless power with such a quiet base. His deep downfield throws are perfectly accurate, his release is nearly instantaneous, and his windup has absolutely no grind. I could fill an article three times this length with jaw-dropping throws; this representative sample will have to do:

Reading through the article, it sounds very much like when Mario took over and had Justin as QB.  He designed the wrong kind of offense that emphasized the run game and not the elite passer he had right in front of him.  The one difference is that Mario was able to recruit and develop a competent OL, Chip could not even do that.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Utah and OSU created huge problems for DM. I suppose both defenses would have created problems for true freshman QBs. 

The obvious concerns are his 9 ints vs. 11 TDs, and the 25 sacks the opposition were able to record.  Those are obvious red flags considering he was used sparingly a few games. 

The good news is that we have the luxury of having a 5* QB on our sidelines. He has potential, but he really needs to work at his craft. 

At least it sounds like the QB coach has solid material to work with. Let’s work on throwing it to the right guys and vastly improve his ability to read defenses. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I will always remember young qb from Burns who threw a perfect pass in his first attempt. The problem was it was perfectly thrown to a linebacker.

Many in the stands that day wrote him off, but the young man never quit. Actually I take that back, he did quit after 11 season in the NFL. 

We should judge, but never give up on our young qb's, and maybe, just maybe they won't either.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

ATQ's Hythloday1 does a very good job of breaking down Moore's tape and exposing both the good and bad of his freshman year. Spectacular arm strength, delivery and accuracy with fixable read and progression issues that you would expect from a first year QB.

CK, with all of his past offensive innovation, really didn't modify his offense enough to train Moore up and did him no favors with the gawdawful O-line UCLA fielded last year. As a former QB, Stein will tweak the offensive scheme for Gabriel this year and as needed in 2025 for Moore's skill set. 

Not discounting Novosad out of hand, Moore has to win the job first. Looking at the ATQ film study though, Moore is mechanically the far superior talent and the right system, elite O-line and skill players around him will make Oregon the best B1G offense in 2025.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/16/2024 at 3:17 PM, Drake said:

Utah and OSU created huge problems for DM. I suppose both defenses would have created problems for true freshman QBs. 

The obvious concerns are his 9 ints vs. 11 TDs, and the 25 sacks the opposition were able to record.  Those are obvious red flags considering he was used sparingly a few games. 

The good news is that we have the luxury of having a 5* QB on our sidelines. He has potential, but he really needs to work at his craft. 

At least it sounds like the QB coach has solid material to work with. Let’s work on throwing it to the right guys and vastly improve his ability to read defenses. 

Some of that was growing pains as a true freshman. But I think most of that was a terrible offensive line and an offensive scheme not designed around his strengths.

I think Will Stein will do a better job tweaking his offense fit Moore's skill set if he becomes the starter in the future.

• Thumbs Up 3

I believe if Moore would have come to Oregon in the first place and sat behind Bo and learned from him that his career would be way ahead of where it is now. 

Learning your craft as a freshman and being successful in the process is rare indeed especially with a questionable O-line in front of you.

The Ducks are lucky to have another shot with him and he has the talent. Throws a nice ball, is elusive in the pocket, and runs well when he takes off. If he improves his reads and goes thru them at a quicker pace he could be a quality backup this year and a starter this year or next, time will tell.

IMO the Ducks are loaded in the QB room and the coaches should be salivating and the possibilities it presents.

With physical defenses we will be facing this season a quality backup is a must.

• Thumbs Up 2

Drake, you said the right things, but perhaps in a slightly different sequence.

"Utah and OSU created huge problems for DM. I suppose both defenses would have created problems for true freshman QBs. 

At least it sounds like the QB coach has solid material to work with. Let’s work on throwing it to the right guys and vastly improve his ability to read defenses."

The Utah and OSU defenses caused problems for a number of people as evidenced by the 25 sacks leading to the 9 interceptions. It seems like DM did not have much more than 1.5- 2 seconds to read the defense and select his receiver. If he was in the grasp by that time, he probably threw a poorly-aimed ball. Now, Coach Stein and his staff have to train DM, [and Novosad and our newest QB] to read defenses well and accurately (we are a team, but this is a competition); then, accurately and rapidly go through their progressions based on the play; then, deliver the ball where it is catchable only by the receiver. They must also teach each of the QBs how to gain that perception, "I must move now, and to where" and "Too late, secure the ball," or "Throw it where no one can catch it." They must learn all that and all the plays.

Coach Tedford did the "read and recognize the defense drill" and the thinking using a checkers board one Summer for any of the QBs that were available.

Drake, You had it, just a little more general than I would appreciate Coach Stein using with the QBs.

VR, KCDuck1