EastBayDuckDad

Steph by Three Over Sabrina.

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

The highly anticipated competition didn't disappoint.

Both are GOATs and Steph won this battle. So good for women's hoop. A bit of sunshine in a tough year for Oregon WBB.

Sabrina started off hot before cooling down in the middle and finishing strong. If she could have hit a few more on the third rack or the money balls she might have won.  

Regardless, Sabrina represented Women’s basketball and Oregon very well, as always. She’s a Duck great.  

Hopefully we’ll see a rematch.  

• Applause 1

I was wondering how they would try balance fairness since women's ball's are smaller/lighter and their three point line is closer to the basket.

But then I dug around for stats. NBA average 3pt % is currently 36.7 for the league. There was no equivalent roll up for the WNBA, but the average seemed to be in the low 30's with the New York Liberty being a massive outlier at 42%. Not coincidentally, that is Sabrina's team.

So even though the ball is smaller and the 3 point line is closer the women do shoot worse than the men from their respective 3 point range.

So statistically Sabrina was actually at a disadvantage to Steph if she shot the women's ball from the women's line. BUT she decided to shoot the women's ball from the men's distance! That's not something she has repped in practice for a decade like Steph, yet she barely lost!

I'm going to go out on a strong limb here and say Sabrina's shooting accuracy is the best in the history of the sport, mens or women's. She is a way bigger statistical outlier than Steph who is a shooting legends in his own right.

The respect she is getting from Steph and the NBA players is real. They know greatness when they see it.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/18/2024 at 1:27 PM, Solar said:

The respect she is getting from Steph and the NBA players is real. They know greatness when they see it.

Based on Giannis Antetokounmpo’s body language, in the seats, it looked like he was pulling for Sabrina. I’m sure that he wasn’t alone!

Steph is the greatest 3 point shooter in basketball history and a terrific proponent of youth and women’s basketball. Well done, all around. 

The discrepancy in strength is a huge factor the farther you get from the basket. That being said Sabrina is the strange Duck in the pond. She and Pritchard made us all proud to be a Duck. Both never stoped playing whether on defense or offense. Totally amazing players that never seemed to get tired.

• Thumbs Up 1