NJDuck

College Football Nearing Long-awaited Adoption of Helmet Communications After Successful Bowl Season Test

Tablets may also make their way to the sideline as soon as the 2024 season

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Tablets may also make their way to the sideline as soon as the 2024 season

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I have always wondered why this "tech" has not become more prevalent in both pros and college. 

Two-way helment communication, heads-up displays are pricey, but not so cutting edge as to not be attainable.  I always assumed it was because of interpretation of the "rules of the game" placed it in the realm of sign stealing and illegal filming of opponents practices and such.  IE:  an unfair competitive advantage.

It should be fun and increase the level of communication thus level of competition as this new tech gets incorporated into the game we all love.

Go "Digital" DUCKS!

On 2/27/2024 at 10:51 AM, MicroBurst61 said:

I have always wondered why this "tech" has not become more prevalent in both pros and college. 

Two-way helment communication, heads-up displays are pricey, but not so cutting edge as to not be attainable.  I always assumed it was because of interpretation of the "rules of the game" placed it in the realm of sign stealing and illegal filming of opponents practices and such.  IE:  an unfair competitive advantage.

It should be fun and increase the level of communication thus level of competition as this new tech gets incorporated into the game we all love.

Go "Digital" DUCKS!

Micro, great take. One reason this tech is late to CFB is that many NCAA football-playing members cannot afford the cost. Especially, D3 schools.

Another reason why the G5 and P4 need to jettison the NCAA.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

College football rules are on track to be modernized in time for the 2024 season after Friday's vote

Will it lead to more huddling like the nfl?

Interesting it only turns off at 15 seconds left on the play clock. If you hustle a bit, the coaches can audible for the QB if the see something once everyone is lined up. They can also tell them to be careful about certain defensive looks the QB might miss.

I imagine that will put all the OCs up in the box from now on. Will also diminish the advantage of a Bo Nix type that can see an understand all the looks and options at the line. The OC can now do that for them.

In the NFL in 2023/24, 83% of all snaps came out of a shotgun formation. Not dispositive as to the number of times teams huddled before a play.

An NFL game last season averaged 155 snaps per game. College averaged 180 snaps a game, 90 per team, down an average of only 2 plays a game with the clock changes. The Browns ran the most plays on average, 69.8. Seattle had the lowest number of plays on average, 58.5. 

If anything, in-helmet mics and improved communication without having to look over to the sideline should reduce the number of times a team huddles. But up-tempo does not equate to more wins. Per Bleacher Report, teams that ran 77 or fewer plays in CFB in 2023/24 won the majority of their games. 

Hello? Can you hear me? 😁

A good explanation of the new rules here. IMO, I see no reason for a 2 Minute Warning. Just an excuse for more advertisements.

BAMAHAMMER.COM

It took the Michigan sign-stealing scandal to do it, but college football is finally embracing the use of modern technology during games. A soon-to-be-passed ne

On 3/5/2024 at 8:58 AM, Jon Joseph said:

A good explanation of the new rules here. IMO, I see no reason for a 2 Minute Warning. Just an excuse for more advertisements.

BAMAHAMMER.COM

It took the Michigan sign-stealing scandal to do it, but college football is finally embracing the use of modern technology during games. A soon-to-be-passed ne

If the 2 minute warning is equal to a 30 second timeout, I'm fine with it, but I'm sure they will make it a full blown media timeout in length which is a bait and switch of the changes last year to shorten the game with more running clock.

• Thumbs Up 1