Charles Fischer

Oregon Softball 9-7: What-the-Heck?

Can any of you who have watched Oregon softball explain what is going on this year? Going into today’s game. The team is 9-7, when normally we would be 12-4, or 13-3, something like that at this juncture. We haven’t even entered, brutal conference play yet, and I hope this isn’t a rerun of what we saw with women’s basketball?

Give me your analysis! 

Mr. FishDuck

I don't listen to the games, but I read the play-by-play.  I'm no softball expert, but it seems to me that: 

1.  Our hitting has not been clutch.  Three players are hitting VERY well:  Kai Luchar (lf), Alyssa Daniel (1b) and Ariel Carlson (rf).  Hannah Delgado (cf) is starting to warm up, and Val Wong (dh) is hitting very well lately.  The other infielders and catcher are not hitting well at all. The bottom of the order has produced very little.

2.  The numbers for our pitchers are okay, but we are getting outpitched.  Stevie Hansen is getting hit pretty good -- she certainly has not performed like an ace.  Morgan Scott has has some trouble.  The freshman Taylour Spencer has been a pleasant surprise -- she has been lights out.  And it's a good thing!

3.  Our defense has made some key errors.  I saw these guys play last year and their defense should be very good.  Judging defense without watching is kind of lame.  It's possible they are making great plays and it just shows up as an out in the play-by-play.

Results have been disappointing so far, but I think it could all turn around in a hurry if the infielders start to hit, and our new catcher does what she did the past three years at Georgia Tech.  And the veteran pitchers must throw better.

I think it is a solid team, and should do fairly well.  But I base this only on what I read, not what I see.

I believe that the situation with softball is world's different that WBB.  WBB is a dumpster fire.  They have no chance against any PAC-12 opponent, except maybe Cal tonight.  They really don't have the players except Gray and Vandersloot.  It seems to me that Division I WBB has rushed by Coach Graves and left him in the dust.  I hate to say it, but WBB looks to be in a terrible state.  

Anyhow, that's my analysis, for what it's worth (not much).

Edited by Cacker Guy
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oregon is a Volleyball school?