Jon Joseph

Saint Nick Goes to Washington and Asks For Help.

On Capitol Hill today, Nick Saban said that he is fine with sharing revenue with the players but is opposed to how boosters and their collectives have misused NIL to turn CFB (and Men's CBB) into a pay-for-play enterprise.

Nick believes that Congress needs to pass federal legislation that will take precedence over conflicting state laws and give relief from players being employees. Looking at you NLRB and state legislative bodies. 

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

Saban may be retired but he had a thundering message to the college sports world on Capitol Hill on Tuesday: Pay the players — but with limitations.

• Oh no! 1

NIL conversations…ughhh…a specialized law degree is probably going to be necessary to discuss it intelligently. 

Nick Saban can get a conversation started, but without some type of big money clout backing him, will Washington feel compelled to take any type of action?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

There are always unintended consequences when any breakthrough legislation is passed. I understand Nick Saban's angst. On the other hand, how often during the 4-team PO did we have 5, and with Georgia, six legitimate contenders for four spots? 

I believe much of what we are seeing in CFB with more parity is due to NIL and the portal. Yes, the teams with the most resources will still separate themselves from the pack, as always, but no longer are players capable of starting elsewhere stuck, or at least delayed for a season, in starting for another team. 

I think it is easier for a young coach like Dan Lanning to deal with the current situation than it is for a 72-year-old man. What's new?

BAMAHAMMER.COM

Make no mistake - Terry Saban asked the correct question. She cannot be faulted because the answer ended the Nick Saban Era. In testimony to the U.S. Senate on

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

As soon as the playing field is leveled a bit, little Nicky quits his job and cries to politicians to fix it. The system isn’t perfect, but at least there is parity in college football again.

Another thing. The only group of people who can screw up college football worse than the NCAA is the politicians in DC. They have bigger fish to fry anyway. 

• Cool 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

NCAA has been begging Congress for an exception to the anti-trust laws and never sniffed the inside of a committee chamber, so St. Nicks is having more success.

But yeah, I'm not sure Congress is the answer, and I think Congress themselves shares that same skepticism. Anything they do pass is likely to be stuck as the law of the land for a VERY long time with no opportunities to tweak it significantly outside of courts ruling portions of it as unconstitutional and unenforceable.

THEATHLETIC.COM

Saban spoke at a Congressional hearing on Tuesday regarding NIL and expressed deep worries about the current system.

On 3/13/2024 at 5:36 PM, Jon Joseph said:
THEATHLETIC.COM

Saban spoke at a Congressional hearing on Tuesday regarding NIL and expressed deep worries about the current system.

Collective bargaining? Here's the rub. 

First, who or what constitutes 'Management?' 2nd, who or what union members will Management be negotiating with?

Who or what makes up a CFB players' Union? The Dartmouth basketball players voted to join an existing union with no ties to college athletics. The Power 2 powers-that-be will agree to negotiate with the Service Employees International Union regarding restraints on the Transfer Portal. I don't think so. 

I don't player agents and the players that they represent are going to want union officials who have nothing to do with college sports sitting at the negotiating table. The lower-level folks in the NLRB who found non-scholarship athletes to be employees IMO had a screw or two loose. 

Good luck figuring THIS out.

More on Saint Nick's Capitol appearance.

WWW.SATURDAYDOWNSOUTH.COM

Get to the meat of what the former Alabama coach is referring to.