Jon Joseph

Jordan James is the Poster Guy for ESPN's Take on Top 25 Impact Players

And, ESPN has the Ducks ranked No. 3 in 2024 preseason rankings.

WWW.ESPN.COM

Who could be breakout stars from the top 25 teams this upcoming season? We break down who you should be watching out for.

• Thumbs Up 2

What I really note from this list are some of the team rankings.
USC unranked? Inconceivable! NC State? KSU with a new QB? Louisville? Kansas?

I don’t believe any of this…but if true, Riley should be fired. Year 3 and the list of teams thought of more highly than USC on this list is absurd. Doesn’t take 10 years for a brand name to make it back these days.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

On 3/13/2024 at 1:11 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

What I really note from this list are some of the team rankings.
USC unranked? Inconceivable! NC State? KSU with a new QB? Louisville? Kansas?

I don’t believe any of this…but if true, Riley should be fired. Year 3 and the list of teams thought of more highly than USC on this list is absurd. Doesn’t take 10 years for a brand name to make it back these days.

This is ESPN's Mark Schlbach's best guess. I agree with you, some of these rankings, Utah at No. 10 and AZ at No. 11 I just do not understand. I think he has too many B12 teams ranked and the ACC champ, FSU or Clemson ranked too low. Oklahoma with Frosh at QB and with its brutal schedule is, IMO, ranked too high. 

IMO USC notwithstanding a very difficult schedule made harder by playing LSU and Notre Dame should be ranked. I see SC being the 5th best team in the B1G, at least, next season. SC misses both OREGON and Ohio State and plays Penn State in LA. SC will arrive in Ann Arbor with a more talented roster than Michigan, a new and upgraded staff of D coaches, and a decent haul so far from the portal. If Moss can play close to how he played in the Holiday Bowl I think SC has a shot of playing in the B1G champ game. 

Great take.

• Thumbs Up 1

ESPN nailed it with James. He arguably was better than Bucky this last year given his efficiency as a runner getting play calls that shouldn't necessarily be explosive but still getting 7 yards a carry!

If he stays healthy he's going to shine as one of the best backs in the country.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/13/2024 at 11:29 AM, Jon Joseph said:

This is ESPN's Mark Schlbach's best guess. I agree with you, some of these rankings, Utah at No. 10 and AZ at No. 11 I just do not understand. I think he has too many B12 teams ranked and the ACC champ, FSU or Clemson ranked too low. Oklahoma with Frosh at QB and with its brutal schedule is, IMO, ranked too high. 

IMO USC notwithstanding a very difficult schedule made harder by playing LSU and Notre Dame should be ranked. I see SC being the 5th best team in the B1G, at least, next season. SC misses both OREGON and Ohio State and plays Penn State in LA. SC will arrive in Ann Arbor with a more talented roster than Michigan, a new and upgraded staff of D coaches, and a decent haul so far from the portal. If Moss can play close to how he played in the Holiday Bowl I think SC has a shot of playing in the B1G champ game. 

Great take.

Some fun B12 perspective: Utah, Arizona, Kansas, and KSU (all ranked) have a combined 9 4-star recruits for 2024. USC has 18.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I was glad to see James get this kind of positive ink here. He was an early Georgia commit who rethought that commitment after taking a look at a very deep Dawg running back corps. Good move on his part although I was confident he'd have become very productive in time had he stayed in Athens.

As for breakouts in Athens, I'm pretty certain that Raylen Wilson, talented as he is, is even the most viable candidate in the ILB room. My candidate is C. J. Allen. He'll be in the center calling defenses, or so I'm told.

And watch out for true freshman Ellis Robinson, said to be the best cornerback Georgia has signed since the all-Worldly Champ Bailey in the 90s.