SoGaDawg

GCU vs Saint Mary’s

Another good 12 vs 5 game.  About six mins left.  Check it out if you love college basketball.  SMU trying to come back after being very cold in the second half.  

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Oh well, I was hoping for a better finish but Grand Canyon took care of business in the final minutes.  Good for them!

Between GCU and James Madison there are two very dangerous 12 seeds advancing.  JMU looked very good earlier tonight.  They play a vicious brand of basketball.  Both of these teams play very good defense.  

• Like 1

GCU Baby! First NCAA D1 tourney win since moving up in 2013. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Lopes Up! (my kiddos attend there)

• Thumbs Up 1

Love the Lopes. That's great that your kid goes their. One of sons went their and graduated a few years ago -- and he loved it. 

Great school, environment, and amazing facilities.

But enough Lopes talk... GO DUCKS! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 10:20 PM, SoGaDawg said:

Oh well, I was hoping for a better finish but Grand Canyon took care of business in the final minutes.  Good for them!

Between GCU and James Madison there are two very dangerous 12 seeds advancing.  JMU looked very good earlier tonight.  They play a vicious brand of basketball.  Both of these teams play very good defense.  

That GCU last 3:30 was painful to watch and downright ugly. Frankly, it was just very poorly played. They are fortunate that SMU did not have any time outs remaining after the 3:30 mark. GCU won't be able to get away with that kind of late poor play again. They need to learn how to use the clock, and they look like a JV team when trying to inbound the ball.

Still, what a great win for their program.

And James Madison... another lower seed excellent win too.

March Madness!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/23/2024 at 1:20 AM, SoGaDawg said:

Coming up: The Dukes vs Duke.

• Thumbs Up 2

That was a helluva game. I've watched several SMU games on TV this season--two of them vs. Gonzaga. I felt, going into this game, that they were tournament darkhorses. While, I'd seen half of GCU's WAC tournament win over UT Arlington, I assumed they benefitted from playing against inferior competition. WRONG!  This team is very impressive, making up for an overall lack of size in the front court with some incredible leapers--including one ex-Duck, Lok Wur. 

One thing that caused me to smile a bit during the game came after one of the analysts wondered aloud: "How did Lok Wur not get any playing time at Oregon?" This came after a made three-pointer and an impressive blocked shot at the other end of the floor.

Then, as the Lopes were trying to close out the win, we saw Wur jack up an ill-advised three-point shot and then lose his man on an inbounds play, resulting in an open three-point basket. I thought to myself, "Yep, I remember that guy." I imagine he must've driven Altman nuts at times.

• Thumbs Up 3