David Marsh

Is Junior Adams Sticking Around for ONLY One More Year?

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Adams, whose previous contract included a $650,000 salary through January 2025, signed an extension last week that keeps...

Junior Adams has done wonders with Oregon's receivers since joining the staff. The Cristobal years actively hurt that room and now it is flourishing with more talent than I think any of us truly understand. So it's no wonder that Adams got an extension and a raise but what is interesting is that it's just for one season. Maybe I'm missing something because the only article that seems to go into this is the Oregonlive article linked above, which has a paywall, of which I am not paying for but typically their articles just review the contract itself and not the rational behind them.

Could Adams be on the move after next season? Or is he just signing something short term to keep his options open? Or is Lanning only wanting to retain him for a season to keep his options open?

What I do know is that pretty much all the assistant coaches had to sign extensions this off season because either Lanning or Mullens or both had them sign only two year contracts initially. This is also why Coach Martin was able to move to MSU without a buyout because his contract expired and he opted not to renew with Oregon and head off to Michigan State instead.

But what is odd is that this contract extension is only for one year. Two or more with Adams' proven track record at Oregon to date would make far more sense if all parties were planning on sticking around for the long haul.

Anyways... food for thought.

Maybe he expects the Duck receivers to Destroy the BIG and then really cash in the next year.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think I read somewhere that assistants are limited to two-year contracts...so when the first year expires, the extension can only be for one-year to keep the two-year window.

(University or State policy?)

On the other hand, I think Lupoi, Hampton and Lorig have 2-year extensions through the 2026 season, and Stein had a 1 year that takes him through 2026.

The contracts include varying percentages of "buy-out" depending upon if the individual is fired.   Not sure what happens if the head coach leaves?  Do the staff get buyouts for a decision that was not of the university's doing because any new coach would want his own staff?

On 3/25/2024 at 11:23 AM, HDuck said:

(University or State policy?)

Pretty sure it's university and it's certainly lost Helfrich and probably post Cristobal.